8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1.1 Schneider lens question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1.1 Schneider lens question...
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 19, 2012 09:07 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All-
I had a Fumeo once (it died.. long story) but I still have the lens for it. Its a Schneider 1.1 11-30m. Very nice!
I thought I would keep it as a spare for my Elmo (I have one on mine currently) but mine has a smooth barrel and a pin, and this one has just has grooves. It fits sizewise but it doesn't engage. So...what other Super 8 Projector will this fit in?

-

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 05:21 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the Beaulieu 708, but I'm not 100% sure. The way this lens's barrel is conceived, makes it suitable for use only on projectors having a focusing "sleeve" which can be moved for/backward for focusing while hugging the lens snug, once the sleeve is tightened. Perhaps you can use it on other machines accepting the same barrel diameter, but you'll have to focus the lens by hand, keeping it in your fingers rather than using the focus knob.
I hope this helps.

--------------------
Maurizio

Heinrich Kronschlaeger
Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 11:37 AM      Profile for Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Email Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the diameter of the barrel ( with the grooves ) is 32,5 mm, than you can use it at Noris Super-8 projectors ( using the focus knob ), at Eumig 926, 936, 938 or 940 ( you cannot use the focus knob, but the sharpness is much better than with the Eumig lens ), at the Sankyo 800 or 700 ( if you don`t have the 1,0 high pro, you can use the focus knob, if you drill two another grooves into the barrel like the Sankyo lens ).
I use that lens for years at the described Eumig, Noris and Sankyo projectors and I am very satisfied with the sharpness. There is also another similar, very sharp lens, that fits in these projectors : the Xenovaron 1,3/ 12-30. With the 1,3 you scarcely ever have to fiddle with the focus.
Kind regards
Henry

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 20, 2012 01:45 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan before you start drilling any holes etc it isn't that simple,
The lens sleeve on the Elmo projection lens is also slightly
relieved from the rest of the barrel at the point where the pin
registers with the worm, this is done so the lens operates
smoothly without wobble.I know this because my late father who
made various fittings for me drew my attention to it on the
adaptor he'd made me out of stainless steel, to accept smaller prime lenses for the Elmo.That would mean you having to turn out part of the barrel
which would restrict it's use on other machines as it's size is
more or less universal with other machines.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 04:24 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There also is a Schneider lens 1.1 specifically made to fit Eumig machines (900 Series), and I agree it outperforms any Eumig lenses.

--------------------
Maurizio

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 20, 2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No drilling for me. I think I'll use it on a Eumig S938/940 if I get another one. Or maybe the Beaulieu...?
Thanks for the replies!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC