8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 501 Feed Issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 501 Feed Issues
Kurtis Baker
Junior

- posted March 03, 2012 12:28 PM      Profile for Kurtis Baker   Email Kurtis Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and relativly new to 8mm. I have recently purchased a Sankyo 501 projector. I am having issues with the feed when I select to project sound. From removing the cover and having a look at whats going on I can see that the problem seems to be from the sound pads being pressed too tightly on the record/play head and erase head. This causes the film to gather up.

If anyone has any advice to help solve the problem it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Kurt

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2012 05:02 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kurtis, welcome.

So even though the film is being pulled through by the rear sprocket, the sound heads pinch the film?

I would check to see if the film is being engaged by the rear sprocket correctly. Also make sure you only switch to the sound position and disengage the auto-thread mode after it is running onto the take-up reel.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2012 07:05 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kurtis,

David has given you some good advice, and in addition I would suggest you check the sound flywheel for freedom to spin and the capstan drive should be very clean and dry where the film rolls on it. Make sure the pinch roller is also bone dry but free to turn.

When projecting Sound films, in addition to the very slight pressure onto the film from the sound head, there is the much greater presure from the pinch roller against the sound capstan when you switch to sound on.
Unless the flywheel shaft can turn easily and quickly, there could be trouble with film bunching up behind the sound head and then possible film sprocket-hole damage at the lower sprocket, when it tries to drag film through the pinch roller.

After you check those things let us all know the result.

dogtor frankarnstein [Smile]

[ March 06, 2012, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC