8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST 1200 D Grinding Grill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST 1200 D Grinding Grill
Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2012 10:26 PM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everybody, so I got this "great deal" on ebay on a Elmo ST 1200 D. There was a slight grinding sound and no film audio came out. I shipped it off, got a new amp and got it back. The amp audio was crystal clear and loud but the grinding was way worse (possibly from the shipping back?). Sent it back and got it back again. The tech said that the grinding noise was coming from the fan motor rubbing on the metal grill. He said he fixed it by pushing the fan back a little. It was much better, but there's still a slight grinding sound and when I stop the motor there's a knocking in the fan. I don't really want to send this back again AND I've already sunk too much money in what was supposed to be my back up projector. Any suggestions? Thanks

--------------------
Scott

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2012 10:34 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To projector is turned on when the knob is in four positions: F, R and two dots. Am I right? Do you have this grinding sound in all four positions?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 27, 2012 02:47 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott,what I should do,is take off the back cover,make sure
the machine is disconnected,switch the projector to forward run
and rotate the pulleys and listen to hear if there is something
just catching.If that fails,connect the mains cable,keeping hands
out and switch to forward run on 18fps for a short run listening
for the troublesome noise.Try that and keep us informed.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2012 07:59 AM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott.... while I really never use it much any more, my ST had a similar noise when I first got it. It seemed to have worked itself out, as when I do fire it up, just a hint of a sound. I'll be interested in what you find out here, as that may be a final fix for mine. Keep us posted.

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2012 11:41 AM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, yes it only makes the sound on the two points: full projection (all the way to the right) and full reverse (all the way to the left). I have had the back off and I can't see anything catching or rubbing with my eyes, but I have a good idea where it is. The upper left corner between the two. i've tried to wedge a little space in there, but I don't want to do it too hard because frankly I'm not a tech and am not technically inclined. I don't want to make it worse or damage something else. I'm going to knock it down to 18 and see what I can find. There's a film convention in Columbus in May, maybe I'll see if anyone there can take a look at it. Like i said this was supposed to be my back up projector and the thing has turned into a nightmare money pit. Makes the hobby/obsession not as fun, lol.

--------------------
Scott

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC