8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Buying First Super 8 projector, Advice please?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buying First Super 8 projector, Advice please?
Antony Vonratcorpse
Junior

- posted April 12, 2012 01:39 AM      Profile for Antony Vonratcorpse   Email Antony Vonratcorpse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to buy my first Super 8 projector and have been looking on ebay for some suppliers in Australia (where I live)
I've been doing abit of research and have found eumig to be a reliable brand.
I've had my eye on this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EUMIG-820-SONOMATIC-SUPER-8mm-SOUND-MOVIE-PROJECTOR-SERVICED-NEW-OSRAM-100w-LAMP-/251034633861?pt=AU_Cameras_Projection_Equipment&hash=item3a72d48685

I have made sure lamps for this model are not too hard to come by, is there anything else i need to look out for?
any advice/help would be much appreciated.
thank you for taking the time to read this!

--------------------
Antony

|  IP: Logged

Thor Andre Karlsen
Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2012 02:27 AM      Profile for Thor Andre Karlsen   Email Thor Andre Karlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a good projector, the worst problem they have is that they have a variable speed clutch system that tends to slip, they say it is because the rubber clutch is worn, but I don't think that, its because the rubber has hardened, its old you know. it can be fixed by cleaning it with alcohol or ruffing it up a bit with sandpaper,(does not always work, but it is fixable for a "fix it person.") otherwise it is a very good projector that a lot of the people here have, I have a Bolex SM80, it has the same internals. if mine slips again, I might try some tire wash or something that is made for giving old rubber a little of its old grip:)

BTW Welcome! I'm new myself.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2012 02:40 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eumigs in general are not very good machines but I have a similar one to the one you are looking at and as long as it's got the same internals can confirm it is a good machine.

An Elmo ST1200 is probably the best way to go but see how you get on with the cheapo Eumig first.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 12, 2012 04:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antony. My first Eumig sound projector purchased in the early part of the 1970's is still going and I used to use it more or less every day for some time. A well looked after machine is worth tracking down and a good introduction to sound cine. Later on you may want a more up market machine perhaps.
The Eumig 822 or even the 824 sonomatics are good and will also project Standard 8 films as well as super 8 sound. If you upgrade later you can hang onto the Eumig just to project Standard 8mm. Good hunting.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2012 04:45 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antony,

You are right to be cautious when buying a used, old movie projector. Often it's a case of good luck or bad luck. However you don't need to rely on luck regarding the Eumig 820 Sonomatic you have seen on ebay.

This particular Eumig has been prepared by Projector Heaven and so I can confirm that it is in excellent condition and works very well. It has been given the closest scrutiny during servicing and is a fine sound projector that you can buy with confidence.

If you buy it before the weekend, I will include a New Spare Osram Xenophot 100w Dichroic lamp in the package.

regards
dogtor frankarnstein

[Wink] [Smile]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2012 07:12 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had several Eumig 800 series projectors. They have all seemed like very well built machines and I have been very happy with them. Although I must admit I've never tried out an Elmo before (haven't had any reason to). Someday I hope to get an 822 or 824.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 12, 2012 02:17 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
H i Antony,I can only speak from my own experience and say
that the early Eumigs,the Mark S series are truly built to last, and
as Lee has said,are work horses.I also have the Elmo machines,
while being a good showmans projector,do have a serious failing,
they scratch film.The plastic tracking used and plastic guides do wear from prolonged use,and need fitting with additional rollers
to offset this problem,which I consider a serious failing.The Eumigs
are very gentle with film,my first S709 is still showing film,and
it's over forty years old and hasn't marked a film in it's life,plus
the lamps are dirt cheap 12V 100W QI.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 12, 2012 04:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Lee and Hugh. The Eumig 800's are built like tanks and handle film very gently. I love my Eumig 810 Sonomatic and, even more, My Eumig 938 Stereo. I have never scratched a single frame of film on either one of them. I cannot say the same for my Elmo GS1200'S which need constant TLC to avoid scratch issues.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2012 05:06 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Antony: Speaking from limited experience. I have a Eumig Mark S 810 D and a Elmo ST 1200. They are used a couple of times per week and both work very good. I have no favorite.
Get a lot of film for your first Super 8 Projector and enjoy! [Smile]

--------------------
Bruce Wright

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC