8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to the forum and hobby! (My Bell & Howell)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to the forum and hobby! (My Bell & Howell)
David Sites
Junior

- posted April 20, 2012 09:38 AM      Profile for David Sites   Author's Homepage   Email David Sites   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all from Washington State (USA)!

I have been getting into the old stereo consoles as of late. Last night I was at a Goodwill store here in the states and picked up this Bell & Howell 8mm Projector for $13 USD.

After getting it home I found out the lamps for them range from $60-$100. But I still want to get this projector up and running. So I am just going to hold onto it, till I find a lamp for a cheaper price.

Does anyone know where you can get lamps for them cheaper?

Here are pictures of it:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/52974 0_419290731431968_100000531351698_1429082_1962253724_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/575626_419290791431962_100000531351698_1429083_998038571_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/546596_419290844765290_100000531351698_1429084_976859997_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/523316_419290961431945_100000531351698_1429087_282449541_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/480165_419291048098603_100000531351698_1429088_1831119713_n.jpg

What do you guys think it is worth witout lamp? With lamp?

Thanks guys, and I hope to be on here a lot and learning more about my new little machine I have found.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 10:55 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
welcome to the forum - can you give details on a specific model, Bell & Howell used the 'Autoload' title on a wider range of projectors,
John

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 11:14 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David,

This projector's model looks like a 482 (Super 8 only) - you can find the model number engraved in the power cord compartment.

Please let us know.

Jon

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 20, 2012 11:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, not meant killing your joy, but this Bell & Howell using a very expensive bulb with low life rate which I believe below 50 hours.

There are plenty projectors cost around $50 which using EFP bulb that only cost $5/each with brighter light and longer life.

--------------------
Winbert

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
David, not meant killing your joy, but this Bell & Howell using a very expensive bulb with low life rate which I believe below 50 hours.
If this is a 482 projector, it uses a DLH lamp rated at 15 hours and prices for it keep climbing because they are not being manufactured any longer - Current listings on eBay show a range of $68 to $129.

Ouch!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Jon

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 12:37 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David that unit looks like mine but mine is a dual 8 yours is a super8 only mine calls for a DLH but i put a dfg in and it works fine the DLH bulb looks like it was a 250w because it has a lens that can project far with a smaller less wattage bulb you would have to be closer. i would think any 120v, 150w bulb would work maybe even a DJL?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 20, 2012 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum, this forum (and a few other film forums) have been a wealth of info to me, and the folks around here "taint' all dat bad!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Washingtonian. I'm also into old stereo consoles, I have two RCA Victor's that I fixed up. My wife and I listen to records on them all the time.

I had a similar Bell & Howell projector that I got rid of after having to replace the bulb a few times. One time the bulb exploded and threw glass shards everywhere. I think the cheapest way to get a cheap bulb is to find another projector that has a working bulb. I've bought a few Bell & Howell projectors with working bulbs for $5 at garage sales and estate sales. You can also look on Craigs List.

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi David that unit looks like mine but mine is a dual 8 yours is a super8 only mine calls for a DLH but i put a dfg in and it works fine the DLH bulb looks like it was a 250w because it has a lens that can project far with a smaller less wattage bulb you would have to be closer. i would think any 120v, 150w bulb would work maybe even a DJL?

Although they have smaller wattage, both the DFG and the DJL can be used instead of the DLH. However not any 120V, 150W will fit. These lamps have an alignment notch in the steam that must fit correctly in the lamp socket.

There is also another lamp that will fit, a General Electric DMH (identical in wattage to the original DLH 120V, 250W). Careful though, Sylvania also makes a DMH lamp but it is much longer than the GE and thus will not fit the projector with the lamp cover on.

GE DMH will fit perfectly and it is as good as the original and can be found for around $40 to $50. I have several of both.

Jon

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 20, 2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
n. I'm also into old stereo consoles, I have two RCA Victor's that I fixed up. My wife and I listen to records on them all the time.
Sorry for being a little bit out of topic. Bryan and David, this is my stereo console (Electrohome):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2RDNxIvkbM

I have another two (RCA and Loewe) at basement.

Got them for free. [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 02:42 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be sorry Winbert, David started it. Here are my two consoles. They are both solid state, I used to have a Maganavox with a tube amp that sounded better but these both work great. One has speakers out on my patio so we can listen to records out there during the summer.

-

-

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2012 03:09 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here. I have two of these projectors,both work ok. But boy, the cost of the lamp (50.00+) with a short life (15 hrs) makes it difficult to turn on. Old lamps usually have a very short life.
Looks like I paid to much for mine, one cost $14.00 and the other $22.oo with a working lamp(lamp lasted for about 10 seconds). It's a great hobby !!

--------------------
Bruce Wright

David Sites
Junior

- posted April 21, 2012 06:46 PM      Profile for David Sites   Author's Homepage   Email David Sites   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you all are great. I think this is the best response along with helpful info I have ever had on any forum.

Thank you all so much for the input.

So does super 8 mean I can only play super 8 films on it?

By the way it is a 482A.

I think I will have to go with the GE bulb, it seems the safest and cheapest way to go.

Here are the 2 consoles I own:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p465/DaveSites/GE-01.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p465/DaveSites/IMG_1600.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p465/DaveSites/IMG_1623.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p465/DaveSites/IMG_1629.jpg

The first one is in the home and needs turntable finished, and fabric redone. Maybe a few CAPS replaced.

The second one is just in garage now. Turntable doesn't work, but I rock it when working outside.

They both have such good sound. It is amazing the quality they had back then with just 2 or 4 speakers.

Again thank you all and I look forward to watching some old movies on the Bell & Howell when I get a lamp. I will make sure to take pics of me and the familty watching to share.

Dave

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2012 08:30 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The console in your home is awesome! The Magnavox that I used to have was very similar to the one in your garage. There used to be a guy in Seattle that repaired turntables, J & S Phonograph Needles, but he is out of business now. The way I have fixed my consoles is by finding one with similar components and swapping them out with the working stuff. Usually from something with a less desirable cabinet. You can find them quite cheep sometimes. If the Magnavox has a tube amp there are people that still repair them.

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2012 09:34 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So does super 8 mean I can only play super 8 films on it?
This is correct David, the 482 only plays super 8mm movies.

Jon

George Tveden
Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2013 12:18 PM      Profile for George Tveden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, you might want to consider a DJL lamp conversion. Using an MR16 lamp housing like the GE QLV-1 you can easily modify your old Bell & Howell projector for a fraction of a new DJL or similar style incandescent internal reflector lamp cost. I do these DJL lamp conversions all the time and they are a great way to keep the old Bell & Howell models running. The QLV-1 housing is easy to find online and relatively inexpensive. Good luck!
 -

--------------------
Geo. Tveden

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC