8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » From Melbourne, Australia to Classic Home Cinema Cleethorpes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: From Melbourne, Australia to Classic Home Cinema Cleethorpes
David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2012 04:40 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last month we hopped on a Qantas A380 here in Melbourne, Australia and headed to London via Singapore. After a whip around the M25 to Blackheath from Heathrow, then a walk to Lewisham for the rental car we headed north.........with no sleep yet!

We arrived in Cleethorpes and had a very pleasant evening exploring this lovely seaside town. Next morning we were chomping at the bit to visit Classic Home Cinema. Once inside Denise showed us around the equipment, 16mm and Super 8 sections of the store. What a thrill it was to have that catalogue in my hands and to be able to inspect any film that took my fancy; mail order Super 8 is fun, but this was the best.

I finally assembled my films: amongst them a Cinemascope 55 short in scope, a Laurel and Hardy and a copy of the Superman The Movie 400ft digest in beautiful colour to replace my faded copy. Soon Phil arrived and we had a great chat about Super 8 (some Super 8 stories that will remain unwritten!), his new magazine and the film business.

I have not had so much enjoyment in a real film shop since the old Super 8 Film Centre closed here back in the 1980's. Thanks Phil and Denise for your wonderful hospitality; your store is a credit to you both.

If you live closer than I do to Classic Home Cinema, then you have no excuse but to visit it soon!

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 07, 2012 07:30 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes no better time to visit than the Classic Home Cinema sale Open Days!

Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th August 2012
PLUS The dinner and film show Friday 3rd evening special.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

What a brilliant journey. Any pics from the visit.

I hope to go there some day but its a long way from kent (south east UK) but I have no excuse after your trip [Frown] . How was the journey from Lewisham?

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 07, 2012 03:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done David - and I thought I was travelling a long distance from the USA! [Big Grin] How you managed that drive up to Cleethorpes after that flight and with no sleep is beyond me!.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2012 11:58 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul/Graham,

We decided to go as far as we could until the zzzz's hit us. At each town we thought, we'll go further until we were almost there. We certainly did not go up direct either we zig zagged all the way and enjoyed places like Boston along the way.

Picking up the car in Lewisham was fine, but British cars have small engines compared to what I'm used to here. Still when you are sitting in a traffic jam heading into the Blackwall tunnel it makes no difference.

I actually shot some super 8 of the front of the store and a couple of still shots of the film-packed shelves inside. I don't wish to post the interior shots without the OK from Phil.

I actually flew from Paris to Miami Paul, and enjoyed a few days in Ft Lauderdale before the rest of our travels across the US.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC