8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 2 Blade Shutter Conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 Blade Shutter Conversion
Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2012 03:27 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd report on my little upgrade project.
Last year I purchased my first Elmo while on vacation in Japan.
A nice ST-180MO sitting on the shelf of the used electronics store needed a home and I was happy to oblige.
After being tempted many times reading about two-bladed shutters in Steve Osbourne's Reel Image, I decided to take the plunge and see if I could successfully complete such an operation.
Of course, upon getting deep inside the machine I neglected to take any photos. It just went by so fast and I was so concentrated on getting it right I never thought to document it properly.
The result was indeed successful and it really is a huge improvement. The ST-180 is only a 100w lamp but side by side with my Sankyo 800 and its 150w, the ST is noticeably brighter.
I also converted a small barrel 16mm 2 inch lens for longer throws and even though it is F1.6 it is still brighter than even my Yashica F1.3 which is a standard lens I know, but was always my brightest even compared to the Sankyo.
I can't wait to try it out in the backyard this summer!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2012 04:21 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to know you got the 2 blade job done Patrick. I've been thinking about converting one of my ELMOs for quite a while, but I'm not too sure if its something I can handle. Approximately how long did it take you?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2012 06:39 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Altogether, it took about 3 or 4 hours, over two weekends, but I was being very careful so as not to lose track of where things go. A great learning experience.

David Weintraub
Junior

- posted August 14, 2016 03:06 PM      Profile for David Weintraub   Email David Weintraub   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am unable to find a video for changing the shutter wheel on an Elmo ST 180-M. What is the difficulty level of this project? Can anyone share tips. Perhaps, Patrick or Joe. Or maybe point me in the direction of an instructable. Thank you!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC