8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » FilmRenew after FilmGuard?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FilmRenew after FilmGuard?!?
Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2012 01:52 AM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this has been debated before and I've looked up numerous articles but no one can seem to agree which is best. My entire collection has been cleaned and lubed with FilmGuard, which some articles say is useful for theaters but shouldn't be used for collections that will be viewed less and stored over long periods of time. Some sources say FilmRenew is a good product for warp and baggy films, but can cause "blotches" if not properly treated. I have a headache trying to figure out which is the best choice for me, so my first question is: are said "blotches" the same as putting on too much treatment that can be wiped off later or are these permanent? Will FilmRenew make my splice tape fall off? And finally, since they are different treatments with different ingredients (they're even different colors) will there be an issue if I ever have to use FilmRenew on a print that was once treated with FilmGuard? Thanks and time to take my meds!

--------------------
Scott

|  IP: Logged

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2012 02:10 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soaking a print in FilmRenew can cause tape splices to fail; normal cleaning will not. Blotches occur from improper drying. So you project the film after cleaning to utilize the heat of the projection lamp. If was applied heavily, then you use a dry cloth to remove excess. Lastly, FilmGuard leaves a slick coating on the print for a very long time. You would need to use a straight cleaner without lubricants first to remove it then apply FilmRenew. Remember, they both have their uses but while there is an overlap, they do not mix well unless applied appropriately. Always use only the amount that is necessary for results.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 12, 2012 05:10 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never used Filmguard,but can testify on the use of Filmrenew which is a VERY gentle film trearment.It does "exactly
what it says on the tin"to quote an advert over here,but it does
say in the guidelines that it can have an effect on tape splices and
plastic spools,so at least the manufacturer is letting you know.
Don't pay any attention to what the professionals use as they
have a different outlook on film to what you the collector has.
If you need proof of this I suggest you visit Bill Brandesteins'
excellent post on "35mm in Cinemas".Back to Filmrenew, even
if over applied won't harm your film,you can soak your film for weeks (which I have done) and no harm to film.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 12, 2012 09:38 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used both. I've never seen any problem with blotches from Filmrenew, nor had any problems with FilmGuard treated films that sit on the shelf for years. I've applied FilmGuard (which I prefer, because of its lubrication properties) to some of my older prints I had previously cleaned with Filmrenew and all went well. Never tried the reverse.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2012 12:11 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, what was the purpose of soaking for weeks, VS, curl? Has anyone had any luck using it to stop VS?

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2012 12:36 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan, neither cleaner will stop VS. Cleaning a print with it will remove accumulated acid. Soaking is to remove curl though results vary. Both have their uses as well as pure camphor.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2012 01:17 PM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the information.

--------------------
Scott

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 12, 2012 01:50 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Bryan.the reason of soaking a short film was just to test the
claims that it was gentle to film,which I can say it is.Regarding
VS there are sachets you can place in with the film which are
supposed to alleviate the problem.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, just to clarify, the small molecular sieves of which you speak do not "cure" the VS they are merely designed to slow the process. but to reiterate what others have said both cleaners have there benefits and I too use both on different occasions.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC