8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Fixers club

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Fixers club
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2012 11:31 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK - saw the other wonderful post, so I figured I should try to solicit some help here....I recently acquired what looked like a virtually unused 824...I ran a precious Clara Bow film and all was great, but then I ran one a couple of days ago and it first did some edge damage and then it accordion-ed. Ruined a fairly rare feature called Million Dollar Mystery, but the main thing is where the problem is....The sound area...I am looking for the easiest way to get in to the sound area without screwing things up...Does anyone have a repair manual for this model?

The sound area seems to be the only place where the film goes in but you can't get to it, so if something is lodged in there I can't even see it to clean it out... Help me Eumiga men! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2012 01:07 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, have you seen this? Steve Klare has typed up Asdett's detailed instructions on sound head cleaning.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006100

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2012 01:24 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino

I can suggest 2 easy things to check first and I will post a pic of the area.

Have a close look around the rear sprocket area.

There is a white plastic film guide that directs film to the rear sprocket. It has a small hinged cover that snaps closed or sometimes is opened to allow removal of film. Make sure that small cover is shut.

The other thing to check is that the black plastic sprocket lock is closed. Its to the left side of the sprocket. If it's not shut properly, film can miss the sprockets teeth and cause a film jam up to occur.

-

see what you can find,

dogtor frankarnstein

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2012 01:25 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay....Brilliant!!! for some reason, when I searched for info on this topic I did not find that...probably because i was adding 824 to the search....Thanks [Big Grin] --Gonna try this tomorrow.

--------------------

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2012 02:43 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once I had the same problem of a film not going through the sound head area of a 800 series Eumig. The whole leader was wasted, I couldn't find anything stuck in the area and I was getting despared because I couldn't figure out any problem on the projector.
The thing was that the leader I used was slightly too wide; in the sound head assembly there are two pins that are spaced exactly the standardised film width from each other. So if there was any mistake made in the cutting of the film in factory and it is slightly wider for some reason it will not thread through.
This might not be the problem here; I just wanted to add this information as I thought it could be useful as reference.

--------------------
Alex

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2012 12:42 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank yes those would be the nice easy quick fixes...but alas [Frown] it wasn't one of the easy ones.....

Alex, that is very interesting, and makes perfect sense, so I'll definitely look into that..thanks for the tip....

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2012 07:13 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex,
after much testing and pondering, I am beginning to think that the film was too wide....Which seems completely bizarre for a Blackhawk film to be too wide, but I have run a few other films through and they are fine...I opened it all up cleaned out the sound area, and ran that same film through and .....CRUNCH! same thing happened, so I tried ab unch of other films and everything has so far run through beautifully.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC