8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Destroy All Monsters? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Destroy All Monsters?
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2012 10:01 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever seen (or have) a print of Ken's Destroy All Monsters digest with good unfaded color? After buying and selling three prints that were all faded reddish I finally bought a black and white print which is quite nice... so I am settling with it. But if there is evidence that good color prints are out there I will keep looking.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 01, 2012 10:29 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

John Cappazo has print with decent color (at least it did last summer when we screened it). I have one that has some fade, but the blues are hanging in there.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 02, 2012 11:55 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean longer than the 200ft digest? I have the 200fter and the picture is still very good with no fade.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 02, 2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug ...

Which Japanese Monster flick was it, that was released, unintentionally, on super 8, as a scope release? I forget the title, but I believe that you have mentioned it before!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 02, 2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Ken Films had three early releases (Std 8mm & Super 8mm, 50' and 200' silent) in scope: Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster, Battle of the Monsters (a second Ghidrah excerpt) and Godzilla vs. The Thing. I assume American International Pictures gave them scope material to work with so Ken put it out that way without mentioning the difference in format. I know I didn't care (or even notice) as a kid....I was just thrilled to have those films!

Doug

--------------------

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2012 01:31 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its cool most of you guys got to grow up with film as something that you dont have to "just buy on the internet" i wish i could have grown up then.(:
Austin

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2012 02:42 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Austin - but you get to be a lot younger than we are now... which I would trade my early film experiences for in a heartbeat! Can you tell I'm entering a mid-life crisis...

As for those unintentional Toho scope releases from Ken. I'm very happy they put them out that way since I can now enjoy them with a real scope lens that I never had in those early days. I just wish they were released in sound!

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2012 02:59 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope my collection looks like some of yours guy-es some day!
Austin

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2012 03:29 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind Austin, that years ago when the prints were newly struck they were expensive relative to the cost of living at that time. You can buy many titles today at a fraction of their original price.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya that is a plus i never thought about inflation. I just wish they were more common at yard sales and ect in my area because i havent found anything here. Anybody get any good deals at yard sales or anything like that?
Austin

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 02, 2012 03:51 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing missing from the discussion gents,is the solid gold
pleasure you had from showing your little new found treasure
to all that would watch,remember you were the only people who
collected this stuff in your neighbourhoods and a certain amount
of prestige was given you.Remember the little tokens that could
be clipped from the tails of KEN films and redeemed for a free
film if you collected ten.Happy days that will never return,but ones
that I would not swap for anything.How about when you got
your first sound projector?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 03, 2012 12:35 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of big "G", remember that item that Doug mentioned he had got from Japan,the book with a Godzilla film.
Do we have any Japanese collectors on this Forum?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 03, 2012 01:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, you could literally have an almost 400ft TOHO scope release of Ghidrah!

... and for those who are extremely dedicated, you could get that soundstriped after it is edited in proper order and make a soundtrack, sync it up and there you go! Talk about a neat rarity to have.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 03, 2012 07:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Osi,

On eBay a few years back I picked up just that. The films had been spliced together and sent out to be soundstriped. The sound isn't perfect, but it's very cool to have!

Doug

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2012 07:12 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 200ft of Destroy all Monsters still has the same color it had when I bought it new......a lot of years ago.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2012 07:38 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was always a holy grail title for me.
Finally got a sound color print for less than $20 on Ebay.
I expected a red print but was surprised when my print still had color left. It seems to have lost contrast though.
Still very happy to have it.

-

-

-

-

Cheers
Terry

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 04, 2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the source and all, I'm surprised to see such good color on those screenshots, (by the way, thanX 4 those!

... and Doug, you lucky Ba***rd! [Smile] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2012 05:09 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hardly ever see a copy of this title and when I do it skyrockets out of my price range...I do have a very nice empty box of this but still looking for a film to go with it.

Bill [Smile]

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2012 08:18 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those screen shots don't look too bad... and Alan it sounds like yours is even better. So I'll keep looking for a good print!

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2012 07:34 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just have to accept the fact that Doug has everything!
He is our resident Film Archive!
[Smile]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2012 06:37 AM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just recently watched Destroy All Monsters and my print looks similar to the pics posted. The colors are there but looks a bit unclear; as if a filter was placed over the lens. I had my print over 20 years (not from ebay) and it was beautiful for a while.

Hurry over, Doug befire it turns to you-know-what.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 07, 2012 07:55 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK with all this talk of the amount of film's that Doug has I decided to post a list of the films he DOESN'T have.

Here it is:

Scroll down.

End of list!

PatD

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 07, 2012 09:21 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One way to make it seem like you have every title in existence is to only add to posts about the ones you have and ignore the others!

I would think Mr. Hendel is right up there....every time we talk about prints, Brian has the same ones I have!

John,

Absolutely, we should have another outdoor screening soon.

Doug

--------------------

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2012 11:37 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a nice print of DAM from fellow forum member Hans van der Sloot, along with a nearly full length King Kong vs Godzilla. My copy has decent color. I am also a collector of Japanese items, mostly Godzilla but some Ultraman and general cultural things as well.
My wife is Japanese and her relatives, brother especially, have given me some wonderful collectibles including a scroll from the Edo period.
I have some Godzilla in 16mm too, but those are hard to come by in good condition. I recently found some original Japanese language scope trailers in 16mm for G vs The Thing(mothra), Ghidorah, and The Gargantuas(known in Japan as Sanda and Gaira!)Those are near mint and I was almost afraid to run them, but of course I have [Smile]

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2012 06:18 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Destroy All Monsters, Monster from a Prehistoric Planet and Voyage into Space are the only color sound Ken Films produced, correct? I know they were also in black and white sound. Frankenstein Conquers the world was shot in color when the feature was released in '65, but strangely enough Ken Films never produced that in color.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC