8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WHAT IS THE BEST PROJECTOR? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: WHAT IS THE BEST PROJECTOR?
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 20, 2012 01:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,yes it's 6000' acetate or 9000' polyester,both arms
are motorised and removable.As soon as this ink arrives I'll put
the article in the post for you.The machine is all metal,with
minimum plastics and weighs 55kg,and transformer another
30kg.I was hoping that when Phil of CHC was going to import
new projectors,that I would have been able to get one for std8mm
I still cry myself to sleep with that one.

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 20, 2012 01:30 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Hugh. I PM'd my address to you.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 23, 2012 03:23 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh
Was there a slip of your typing finger/s, did you mean the Fumeo model 9145?

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 23, 2012 04:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one?

http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_fumeo/fumeo_9145.htm

or, with the larger reels:
http://www.ibcinema.com/ib2006/super8/fumeo_9145.pdf

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2012 01:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael
Some great research
Happy Birthday

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 24, 2012 03:48 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why, thank you, sir.
Nice to chat yesterday.
[Smile]

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2013 07:52 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks,

I have to say that in my experience the Bolex projectors are all around the best. I have a an 18-5 for Super 8, an M8 for 8mm and a S321 For 16mm, all are incredibly efficient machines, quiet and beautiful looking. People often compare them to fancy cars and I agree, it's like taking the Rolls Royce out for a spin.

Second to none are also the Kodak M100 and the Pageant 250 series, which I use more frequently. I like Elmo's but their occasional belt and timing issues give them a lesser grade. The Kodak's work very hard and have nice sound when you can get a DI Box and an adapter. You can also fit the lens from the Bolex 18-5 onto the Pageant's to give you a zoom lens!

I also have the idea to modify an old Pageants arms to work as a long play unit for my Bolex M8. Additionally, you can use the 1.2 lens from a Sears Tower on the M8 for a bigger, brighter picture. The LP unit sort of works out in my head but, we'll see if the idea translates when building it. If it does, these projectors would have to be in my opinion, some of the best models out there.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2013 08:28 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I'm probably going to "put a cat amongst the pigeons", but I don't think there is an answer to this one. In my experience ALL self threading machines will sooner or later scratch films, as they are difficult to keep clean throughout the whole of the film path, fixed plastic guides wear quite quickly particularly the bits in contact with film. It must also be remembered that the more use the machine has had, the more it has worn, and sadly they are all, like me getting a bit old now and there were few Super 8 machines built to last like the older pre 1970's models. Ken Finch. [Big Grin]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 03, 2013 08:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Example.
Perry’s Movies always used a Fumeo to post check prints at the lab so guess that is a very good recommendation. We have had this question loads of times but don’t you think it rather depends how deep your pocket is? With this in mind and for the general users I vote..

1/Eumig 810D Lux (or buy my lux lens that’s for sale and stick it in a standard 810D)
2/Eumig 938 Stereo are such a quiet machine and sound quality is superb/rock steady picture.
3/GS1200 or GS800 Stereo if you have deeper pockets

5/ For a newcomer I would introduce them to a either Eumig 800 range machine which are versatile projector.

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2013 09:29 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite projectors are the Bolex 18-5L Super 8 and the Bolex M8 for Standard 8mm. (Gerald do you have an extra Sears Tower lens?) Reliable and bright and compact. I also have for Super 8 sound, the Elmo St1200 which is a fantastic machine.

Of worthy mention for me are my old Bell and Howell Filmo Regent projectors. They are seemingly unbreakable and last for decades. I have the 8mm Regent and the 16mm Diplomat. They put out a fine image and are a great starter projector as they are simple, reliable and relatively easy to fix. I also like the way they look and the manual threading. They are a tad noisy but we're talking antique here. I still use these regularly.

-

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2013 11:13 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was viewing standard 8 silent I would not go past a later Eumig P8 (Novo) but I would take off the autothread device

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

I don't have an extra 1.2 lens but, I am getting a box full of lenses that could be of use. Once I have them, I'll let you know.

I had a couple of Eumig's, and gave them to friends. The machines always had trouble with prints that had splices or was very particular about sound, and had very jittery gates. I'd like to try more of them if I could find them.

Oh, I forgot to mention the great Elmo CL for 16mm, again a very nice and quiet machine but, the rollers and belts are usually goo when you get them.

I've never seen a Fumeo, they rarely come up for sale in the U.S.., I'm always looking at posts that ask for help fixing large capacity Elmo's, the problems on the machine seem to be common troubleshooting related to sound and speed. I hesitate to ever get one for the prices asked now that I have the Kodak M100.

And finally, I should also mention the superb longevity of the 8mm Keystone 109, and the other vertical manual loading machines like it (such as Richards), if oiled and lubricated, they will run forever on a DDB lamp.

I look forward to the day when I find a 9-5 machine, what would be a good (best) model to look for in that particular format?

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 03, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beaulieu 708 Stereo Xenon. Fantastic machine, kind to film, and the beautiful light. Micrometric focusing, huge reel capacity, pressure plate on the correct side. Really the King of Super 8 projectors in my collection. The prince would be the Elmo GS1200. [Smile]
And I did own a Fumeo 9119 once. The manual threading should have been what all projectors should have had. One day I'll do a review on it. But in the end we parted ways.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, you wrote: "The Kodak's work very hard and have nice sound when you can get a DI Box and an adapter." What is a DI Box, what does it do, and how is it used?
[Confused]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2013 02:43 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I prefer the ELMO ST-models. I own the GS-800 and ST-600, and while I use the GS mainly for it's reel capacity, I find the ST-600 to be more stable and with a better picture. My goal is to get a ST-1200 for the new cinema room (coming 2013).

I used to have a EUMIG, and it was a piece of **** that gave me nothing but trouble and chewed up film. Never again!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2013 03:09 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,

A DI unit is a "Direct Input" box that takes a high impedance, unbalanced signal and converts it to a low impedance, balanced signal. Here is a link to learn more about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit

It's a great addition to sound projectors that "cleans up" sound levels minimizing noise and distortion. Most boxes also have a switch to adjust the gain on levels going out. Here is the one I have (but there are better ones), the shipping is free so it comes out to about $10:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370645994493

You will also need a XLR to 1/4" cable to plug into the unit and 1/4" to RCA (or any other end) as an output cable. I can take pictures of the set up that I do for my film shows and share them on a different thread later tonight.

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 03, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GS1200 period!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 03, 2013 04:51 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, I would very much like to see how you are using the DI box and your setup. It's not very expensive, but I have a XLR-PRO balance to unbalanced adapter box that I use with my camcorder...I'm curious if you might know if it does the same thing as the converter you mention or how it may differ.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2013 03:03 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice,

It looks like that unit could work if it has a line out, give it a try and let us know the difference.

In the meantime Joe, I've posted about the set up I have for my film shows here:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001987;p=9

And to stay on topic...another salute goes out to the M100 that handled our Superbowl program tonight without a hitch and sounding sweeter than ever. Once you go Kodak you'll never go back!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 04, 2013 03:05 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mentioned on a previous thread that many are now using a analogue to digital converter as well particularly with optical 16mm. Split diode for stereo sound etc and its pretty amazing.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 04, 2013 03:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ghristian must have had a faulty Eumig. His bad experience is totally atypical of these fine machines. I would like to know what model Eumig it was that gave him so much trouble.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 02:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm betting that it was a lower cost EUMIG, as I have never had a problem with my EUMIG'S and they have always been very gentle on film, (as well as superior sound!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 05:39 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first sound projector was a cheaper Eumig (Mark S 802) and that thing was built like a tank, and very smooth.

My best projector to this day is the BAUER T-610. My fave.

James.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 08:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes James, the Bauer's have a great reputation, although I have never owned one.
Like you, my first S8 sound projector was the Eumig S802, a breakthrough projector design at the time. Mine is still running after 40 years!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 02:18 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of favourites, because the film sets the projector I use.

If it is Stereo, I use the EUMIG S 940 Stereo multiprocessor or ELMO ST 1200 HD.

-  -

If it is Mono, I use the Bauer T 520 (a really silent projector)
 -

If the sound must come from the notebook, I use the Braun Visacustic 1000 stereo with control unit. (on the picture without the unit)
 -

If it is Optical Sound, I use my good old ELMO ST 1200 M&O
 -

If the projection is not in my "home area", I always use the ELMO ST 1200 HD.

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC