8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cataloging your collection (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cataloging your collection
Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2012 11:24 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you do it? Is it alot to do? How is it organized. Ect..
Looking forward to your opinions
Austin(:

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 17, 2012 11:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want, you can download freeware from http://www.collectorz.com/.

You just need to enter the title, and the software will download from available source for all related film infos such has actors, director, year of release, producer, original cover, etc, etc.

Later you can revise it by adding some infos related to 8mm, such number of reels, spool size, sound or silent, or change the original cover with 8mm original artwork, etc.

You can upload the catalog online, so you can still have in touch with your library although you are in different computer.

The freeware can only list up to 100 titles, more than that you have to buy.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2012 11:45 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!
Austin(:

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 18, 2012 11:19 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just use Microsoft Excel.

I find it's a good thing to do because every so often I get this sad feeling I've seen everything I have and I have nothing to watch...

Then I look through the list and see that maybe that just isn't so!

("Hmmmm...I haven't seen that one in long time!!")

-Saves us some money!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 12:18 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also use a basic microsoft excel sheet, it simply contains from left to right, the title,spool sizes and number of spools, e.g 3 x 400ft ,a "Y" if it has the original box, then the remaining colums are, date cleaned, and date viewed with enough colums to last forever, the clean dates are filled in yellow once its been cleaned and/or viewed and a different fill colour for each year, this way its a good visual look over to see what hasnt been touched for more than a few years. In a large collection its amazing how so many years can go by with titles not viewed for more than 3 or 4 years, [Wink]

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2012 12:22 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i keep a small sheet with each film stating as to when it was inspected last time then that info is put into a excel sheet

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 12:23 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it easier just recording my collection in a desk diary,and it's
there 24/7,with no fears of it being erased or any of the pitfalls
of the electronic age.Old fashioned,but tried and tested.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 12:26 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also use excel. [Wink]

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2012 02:40 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use notepad for my list. It's convenient when I need a quick look during a film festival, for choosing a film or getting the date of a film.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 03:31 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oi Hugh, pssssst, ive also got all mine catalouged manually in an A4 note book, fool proof [Big Grin] [Wink] (dont tell anyone though!!!)
If the Pc goes down im insured by Biro ink

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 03:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find it easier just recording my collection in a desk diary,and it's there 24/7,with no fears of it being erased or any of the pitfalls
Hugh, your catalog still can get erased by water or fire... [Big Grin]

If you are worried about getting erased or need an access by 24/7 from anywhere, you can register for a google document account. Then you can have access to any type of your Office document (Excel sheets, power point, MS Doc, Pdf, etc) practically from anywhere as long as there is internet access.

This is like a virtual hard drive and this service is FREE. And this is almost impossible to get erased ...unless google goes bankrupt [Razz]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 18, 2012 03:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then again our collections can also be erased by water or fire!

I think if that ever happened to me I wouldn't have the heart to start over again.

My film list lives on multiple computers: if nothing else when I'm sitting at work, sometimes I like to ask myself "What do I feel like showing tonight?".

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 04:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
We can only hope Google goes bankrupt Winbert,they are not the
flavour of the month in the UK, Seriously,does it really matter
if we keep records or not,like I said in an earlier thread about
favourite films,theres a certain bunch of films I never tire of
watching.There must be scores I've never screened for many
years,so keeping records isn't the most important thing with me.
Nice to know Tom covers his bets though.Theres nothing wrong
with"belt & braces".

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 04:34 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find it easier just recording my collection in a desk diary,and it's
there 24/7,with no fears of it being erased or any of the pitfalls
of the electronic age.Old fashioned,but tried and tested.

I, too, am a pen and paper man. But, my records are very much incomplete.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 07:09 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It all boils down to time Michael,if you have time to spare on keeping records of film,which lets be honest,isn't the most
important thing in the world,and your records can soon be
brought up to date by a visit to the vaults and a note pad,far
easier than tapping keyboards etc.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2012 11:30 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my film collection listed on my android tablet, using 'memento'. The entries consist of title, gauge, sound format, colour, subject, date of production etc amongst others. I send the list to my drop box account so I can access it from my desktop, in case the data is lost.
I find it very useful to use a portable tablet to carry around information about my collections ,film or otherwise, as I have the information to hand and don't accidentally buy the same things again or take guesses on the contents of my collections!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm obviously missing something here,is it so important to be so
pedantic as being in "touch with your library" and listing boxes,
number of reels etc.This is getting scary.When I went to work
there wasn't the time to play on tablets or computers.If it's that
important,you can always stay home and cuddle them.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"touch with your library"
Hugh, I love my movies collection so much.

But when I was far from home, looking into all the list is a bit of relieving... [Wink] ... especially if the list comes with all pictures.

It is sort of like looking to the photos of our loved ones when far from home.

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 03:19 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little like you Hugh, to be honest. I don't have the time to spend cataloguing and listing, etc. I don't think my films are as precious to me as they are to some on here. I make sure my prints are inspected, cleaned and well-stored, and that's about it. If I have time I may write the title on a list I keep in a drawer somewhere.
On the other hand, for someone with a very large collection , I guess a more organised list might be necessary.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 03:30 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Michael, a sane man at last.I can see Winberts point,but like
you Michael,they are there to be viewed when I want to view them
and I have a list of them,if I sell any then I cross them off.As for
Google or any other of these time waster firms being involved,
why? I know titles I own,so little chance of buying twice.When
you're on a scaffold flogging away,there's little time for fiddling
with your aps or anything else for that matter.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 04:01 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know titles I own,
Hugh, maybe because you are mainly collecting features which their titles are easily to be remembered (because they were discussed in many occasions, many places and we spend more money on them so we always remember it).

But for collectors who focus on short like me, keeping the records is important to avoid buying multiple items. Look at Tom & Jerry list which come to 110 titles. I hardly remember the titles because many of them do sound alike. For example:

- Salt Water Tabby vs Timid Tabby
- Puss 'N' Toots vs Puss Gets the Boot vs Polka Dot Puss vs Heavenly Puss and tents titles with "Puss"
- Mouse Trouble, Mouse Comes to Dinner, Mouse For Sale, Mouse in the House, Mouse in Manhattan and all titles with "Mouse"

etc..etc..

This is also the same case with "Bugs Bunny" with too many "Hare" in the title.

This is so confusing and not to mention their French/Germany titles counterpart which totally different sound for the same film.

As they were purchased around $12 - $18, we struggle to remember them compared buying features that we never forget where our $150 went to... [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 19, 2012 04:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt I'd be bothered with it if it wasn't so easy, but I started it when I had about 50 films and every month when I get one or two more I just add them in while I'm on the computer anyway. (I work at a PC and spend easily 30 hours a week here...)

Time per month? 2 minutes?

One great plus is when I'm compiling a show I just copy and paste the information into another list that goes with me to the shelves and then sits on the table while I'm running the machines. In the heat of battle it pays to have a plan!

--------------------

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2012 04:38 PM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact it is when you collect a lot of shorts that having the information to hand is very important. You are not going to forget if you have a feature of GWTW, but what about all the laurel and hardys, the tom and jerrys, donald ducks, trailers etc. It is good to be organized. The worst thing is to stand at a dealers table holding a L & H film, and thinking....have I got this already?
By having a proper database, rather than a couple of bits of paper, you know what you got. I am able to find out instantly what tom and jerrys I have got, and which ones are in scope for example, or if I do need a sound copy of a silent print, without trying to memorize 1000s of titles. Or is that railway film available in 2rls rather than a cutdown I already own? Or do I have that on super 8 or 16mm?
This is what the 21 century has to offer.....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 07:06 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fair assortment of 200's through to 400's and multi reel
films and foreign versions,and never have I had to think if I had
or didn't have a particular title.The only reason I have a list is
that I use it like a catalogue,instead of standing in front of shelves
trying to make a viewing choice,and it's a sickener for Google,
cos' I don't need 'em,and that's my 20th century logic,beats 'em
every time.A bit like dvds,none of those are listed,but I know the
titles I've bought.I think you lads rely to much on computers.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 19, 2012 08:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it would be kind of odd to spend my entire working day using a computer very easily and effectively, and then revert to quill, ink well, parchment and candlelight just because I've gone home.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC