8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 4th Annual Super 8 Backyard Theatre

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4th Annual Super 8 Backyard Theatre
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 06:37 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Our 4th Annual Backyard Super 8 Theatre is history.
Our biggest turnout so far! Fun was had by all.
It was also great that fellow forum member Winbert was able to join us along with his 2 sons.

Projector: Eumig S938
I had two bookshelf Realistic speakers Powered by my Yamaha stereo amp for sound (surprisingly good too!)

The backyard!
 -

The happy projectionist!
 -

Put the show on two 800 foot reels.
Shorts (reel 1)
Tom and Jerry: The Dog House (Derann print)
Pepe le Pew: Heaven Scent (Techno Film)
The 3 Stooges: We Want Our Mummy
Roger Rabbit: Tummy Trouble
Feature (reel 2)
The Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad (4X200 Columbia)

Took short clips of the film sitting behind the projector.

See it here.

Cheers
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 09, 2012 07:33 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry

That's looks like a lot of fun. Too bad I live so far away. Thanks for the pics and the video.

PatD [Eek!]

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 07:52 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would have been happy to have you Pat!
Cheers
Terry

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 09, 2012 08:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Terry, wish I could have been there!
Nice to know of yet another S8 collector who appreciates the outstanding virtues of the Eumig 938!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 09, 2012 11:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was excellent Terry, thanks for sharing it.

Graham. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 10, 2012 02:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

This looks great!

My one trial run at an outdoor screening suffered a mosquito attack and then was laid flat by a rainstorm.

I realize rain is basically a game ender, but do you have mosquitoes to fight there?

We often have early frosts in October that end mosquito season instantly, but then warm days afterwards. I think I'll retry this experiment then.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 10, 2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I found that Terry was holding the backyard screening, I had (again) to miss this as Terry's screening was always the same time with the Consulate's regular program held 234 km away. So I had sent a regret email for his invitation in person.

But then I remembered that this year was my last summer in Canada because I would go home to Indonesia next June 2013. So by then I will never see his backyard screening.

So I emailed him back and asked what time was the official screening. And when Terry said would be around 09.30, I calculated the driving time between the two cities, and confirmed I would just deal with it or regretting for the whole of my life.

So, I drove 2 hours and 30 minutes to his negihborhood and.... I did finally enjoy this backyard screening. I met with many new friends there.

My 2 sons also enjoyed that night. My youngest kid was even easy to adapt with the kids in the neighborhood, he was already play hide and seek although he just met them.

So again, thanks Terry... I wil try to do the same this summer at my own backyard.

See you soon!

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 10, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
A noble effort Winbert,well done and well done Terry,hope there
was plenty of ale flowing,it keeps the kids quite!

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2012 06:01 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

That's really cool what you did there and it's great that you can do that in the summer months in Canada. I wish we could do that here but unfortunately our temps in Phoenix today will reach 117 and same for tomorrow & thursday. Yikes!! [Frown]

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2012 09:00 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My one trial run at an outdoor screening suffered a mosquito attack and then was laid flat by a rainstorm.

I realize rain is basically a game ender, but do you have mosquitoes to fight there?

Steve,
It rained heavily that morning but we too are suffering from some pretty hot weather (only about 86 though)so by the time evening rolled around it was dry again.

Oh yes, we have mosquitoes too so bug spray is recommended. That night was barely a problem at all - or at least I didn't notice.

quote:
So, I drove 2 hours and 30 minutes to his negihborhood and...
Winbert
A couple of friends also travelled a couple of hours to make it but you do have the record for time and effort! I certainly appreciated everybody coming.

This year there were people there even I didn't know! (friends inviting friends)

I'm glad all the kids got along! I think your boys laughed out loud during Tom & Jerry.

quote:
hope there
was plenty of ale flowing,it keeps the kids quite!

Hugh
I supplied soft drinks but the ale flowed too! Keeps the adults happy (happier).

Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 11, 2012 10:10 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

Indeed, I saw people were spraying with bug spray to their body, while I didn't. But mosquitoes didn't bite me. I guess they just don't like Indonesian blood,...it tastes spicy.... [Big Grin]

Anyway, I am now seriously thinking to hold such a backyard screening this July 28th (Saturday) combination between my son's birthday and Disco Party for adults.

"Mad, mad, mad world" is already in my head for the feature presentation (although it is 2 x 400') plus Abbot & Costello + 3 Stooges for the shorts.

I will send you the invitation when everything is fixed.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Gerry Groeber
Junior

- posted July 29, 2012 11:44 PM      Profile for Gerry Groeber   Email Gerry Groeber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like good times. Where did you get the invite template?

--------------------
Can’t wait to show some movies:)

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2012 12:13 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually not a template. Started with elements from a photo of a vintage marquee and modified it in Photoshop.
Cheers
Terry

Dave Velazquez
Junior

- posted July 31, 2012 05:56 PM      Profile for Dave Velazquez   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Velazquez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks great...and I totally enjoyed the video. Good job!

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2012 11:11 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOOOW !!

Tewrry you projector looks great and your films are so good, mine projector is so dark and films so red [Frown]

I hope i soon have a 8mm backyard presentation as you !!!

Congrat!!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2012 11:41 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too Cool! Exactly how do you set up external speakers to the projector? I have 2 CHINONs and a EUMIG, but I'm not sure how to do it so it won't blow the speakers on the projectors not knowing much about ohms and such. The color on your "Sinbad" still looks pretty good.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 04:00 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

The speaker set up was easy. I just used the headphone jack on the projector and plugged into the AUX on my stereo receiver.

Used something like this:
 -

Just started out with the levels low and did the final adjusting using the projectors volume controls.

Hope this helps.

The final reel of Sinbad actually looked much better!

Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 04:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The color on your "Sinbad" still looks pretty good.
I attended Terry's backyard screening and can confirm the last reel of Sinbad (reel #4) did still have good color with blue, yellow and green strongly noticeable.

But to say Sinbad on his youtube as "good color" it confuses me.

-

-

-

Brad, are you sure referring to the above screen shots? [Confused]

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 08:55 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the first reel was not the best but I do fine the orange tint less distracting than a red one. [Big Grin]
Cheers
Terry

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2012 03:09 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the audio tip, Terry. The "Sinbad" clip I saw sure looked alot better than some of the color stuff I have. Most of mine are beet red.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2012 06:17 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks quite nice, Terry [Smile] If I ever move to Canada: I'll have two adult tickets and a large popcorn, please!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2012 08:03 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christian
You have an open invitation so you won't need the tickets, and the popcorn is always supplied!
Cheers
Terry

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC