8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fantasia 2000 print query

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fantasia 2000 print query
Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2012 11:18 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know why this 75 minutes feature was put out on four 600' reels by Derann?

Also, The Sorcerer's Apprentice seems missing from some prints at least. Was it missing from all prints?

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 11, 2012 02:42 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you not confusing two films Akshay,as I understand the
"Sorcerers Apprentice" was included with "Fantasia" in various
lengths from Derann,whereas "Fantasia 2000" was released as
a complete feature.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2012 03:00 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, take a look at the following.

1. The last but third paragraph by Gian Luca says 4x600' spools too

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000367

2. Here is the Derann list, http://derannlists.co.uk/derann/8c.php

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 11, 2012 03:28 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this clip was included Akshay,but I know that the
original "fANTASIA" was sold in "dribs & drabs" from Derann,
some were short clips others long,I have a clip myself that is
about 300' in length.As far as I remember,I can't recall it being
sold complete.If the other film contains clips from the original
I can't see why they wouldn't be included.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2012 04:25 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann,since making the big deals with MGM,Disney,Fox etc, sold all their features in 600 ft reels.Some of these,contain only 400 feet of film,depending on the number of the original film's reels. This also happens in Italy a lot. It is a good chance to put the 400 feet of film in 400 ft reels and keep the,rarer, 600 ft reels for other occasions.

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2012 05:56 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Akshay,

my copy has the Sorcerer's aprentice included, so for sure not all copies have this episode missing.

Bye
Flavio

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2012 06:51 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is complete also,but i don't like the colors!it's very blue! [Razz]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2012 10:43 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2012 01:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had kind of thought that this was the case, (no 400ft reels avaialble), as this feature was a rather late release in Derann's history ... the last Disney feature to be released (a real shame as, if they could have kept they're deal going with Disney for one more year, "Atlantis" might have made it onto super!).

I know that "Master and Commander" was a feature after "Fantasia 2000", but were they're any other features released after Fantasia 200 besides?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2012 10:45 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a worn but enjoyable copy of this from The Reel Image at the holidays. Having just shown it with DVD sound, I had to carefully account for the timings and lengths of each of the original reels (even though my copy came all spliced together on an extend-a-reel).

Panayotis is absolutely correct - regardless of the use of 600' reels, which was unnecessary - the Fantasia 2000 print is absolutely complete at 75 minutes and came on 4 reels, not 3, which appear to correspond precisely to the reel configuration of the 35mm theatrical release prints. The longest of them (reel 2) was 22:15 plus leaders - an unusually long single reel length by a minute or two, which due to the thinner polyester stock would've still fit comfortably on a 15" theater reel or a 7" Super 8 reel.

Since I did all that work, I think I'll add some details to the Fantasia 2000 review page where hopefully it will be of use to someone.

By the way, I'm amazed to see the Derann lists page linked above - almost like seeing an old friend, or the ghost of one.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC