8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to Super 8 - Eumig Mark 8 problems...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to Super 8 - Eumig Mark 8 problems...
Maia Conran
Junior

- posted August 31, 2012 09:51 AM      Profile for Maia Conran   Author's Homepage   Email Maia Conran       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I'm about to embark on my first artwork in Super 8! I've acquired a Eumig Mark 8 projector which seems to be misbehaving a little, it doesn't seem to work very well in reverse - especially at 24 frames, it's slightly better but painfully slow at 18 frames. I'm new to super 8 projectors (and to this forum!) and it came without a manual - is it possible that there's something I'm supposed to do that I didn't? Or would anyone have a manual for it I could have?

I see from some of the other topics that Eumig aren't considered the best... I've also just borrowed a bell & howell autoload which to me seems to be working great, and there's a Sankyo and a Norris on the way (not sure which ones yet). So I'm guessing that I may be around this forum quite a bit for the next couple of months!

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks for reading,

Maia [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2012 10:08 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maia!
Have a little look through this forum, also the recent posts, and you will find that you are experiencing a common problem with some Eumig projectors. Open the back cover - with the projector unplugged from the mains - and you will see two rubber discs; because of the age of the projectors the drive mechanism doesn't get full grip via the discs and that's why the film slows down.
Possible solutions are described in this forum with many different opinions.
I own two Mark 8 projectors and once they are refurbished (there might also be a problem with brittle plastic that is meant to keep the motor in place) they perform very well and are extremely reliable.

--------------------
Alex

Maia Conran
Junior

- posted August 31, 2012 11:02 AM      Profile for Maia Conran   Author's Homepage   Email Maia Conran       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alex, It seems rubbing alcohol or light sand paper are the way forward, I'll give it a go!
Thanks again,
Maia

[Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC