8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Quartz Halogen Lamp to MR16 Halogen Conversion - GAF / Elmo FP Series (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Quartz Halogen Lamp to MR16 Halogen Conversion - GAF / Elmo FP Series
Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 04:47 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think janice is looking the same as me, use a cheaper bulb and better life time , isn't it janice ?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 08:24 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks -- so I guess it is safe to stick to the same wattage but if you go from incandescent to halogen you will get a brighter picture.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 11:11 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone attempted to upgrade from a CXR in a Bolex 18-5? The CXRs are getting a bit expensive now. Also, how about upgrading from a DLG for a B&H 370 8mm? Those bulbs cost $80 now! I hope the EFP, EFR and ELCs stay at a reasonable price.

thanks

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 11:59 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony you can try the EJA Bulb only 8 USD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BULBAMERICA-EJA-150-watt s-21-volts-MR16-light-bulb-/140820291278?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&hash=item20c98b1ece

or an EKE but EJA is 3400°K vs 3300°K in EKE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EKE-Sylvania-54842-EKE-Projector-Light-Bulb-/261041483034?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&hash=item3cc748ed1a

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 06:34 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toni, EFP and EFR are used in many places beside the projector. So the price will remain the same.

--------------------
Winbert

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 15, 2012 10:53 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The EFM (50W-8V)is a good conversion replacement bulb for the CXR. When I have some time I might try converting one of my Sankyo machines.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2012 12:28 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also interested in knowing what will replace the DLG on my Sears Tower. Those are nice models with a 1.2 lens and an inexpensive belt to replace. Like Tony mentioned, the DLG lamp can be rare and costly.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 15, 2012 06:01 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as an equivalent bulb goes.... either the EKE or EJV are both 21V 150W.

--------------------
Janice

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2012 08:03 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice! So is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-TP41-lamp-holder-GX5-3-EKE-ELC-DED-FVL-EXY-socket-/130702030197 the only component I'll need besides the lamp to make the switch?

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2012 09:20 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks All.

Gerald -- I think the hardest part is to mount the new lamp in the correct position with the new socket -- so you do need another part.

Janice,

I know you used a project box -- but how did you get it in the exact position so the light is focused on the frame?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 15, 2012 11:44 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just measured the distance from the base to the center of the frame in the gate and raised socket mount so that the center of the lamp was in line with the frame. The box I used just happened to be very close to the height I needed. In my case it didn't have to be perfect...at least in the GAF it wasn't critical.

--------------------
Janice

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2012 07:11 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, so the socket mount is adjustable -- I didn't know that.
Thanks, Janice.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 16, 2012 08:57 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm not explaining it properly. The socket mount is not adjustable. The height was determined by the height of the box it was mounted on.

--------------------
Janice

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2012 11:09 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald I would advise you get one of these as they are much better and only $4 and they work for so many different wattage bulbs you can buy a batch of them and never need anything else.

QLV-1

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2012 08:02 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,

So the box was already the right height -- I guess you're just a lucky gal! [Smile]
I never have that kind of luck.

Thanks

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 17, 2012 08:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony...You can also adjust the height using metal spacers.

Dino...the QLV-1 is great...but it won't fit into some projectors. It's either too wide or too long. I tried it in my B&H MX33 and it's just a tad too wide so the cover won't fit back on. In this case I'll have to use just the porcelain socket.

--------------------
Janice

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2012 08:45 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Janice.

All I have had time to do so far is take a quick look at both projectors. (B&H 370 and Bolex 18-5.) The one I would really like to convert is the Bolex. That one currently has 2 wires leading to the lamp -- one seems to be some sort of ground wire though since it doesn't seem to connect to the metal plate that gives the lamp its electricity. So I'm not really sure how to proceed.

With the B&H, I would wind up having more wattage and brighter picture -- so that may be worth a try. In both cases, in addition to the socket, I would need to get a lamp holder/mount as well, then figure out how to get it to the right position. The project box would probably give me a great start. If anyone has done this to either projector, please let us know lessons learned.

thanks

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 17, 2012 10:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony...usually one wire goes to the transformer (power) and the other goes to the selector switch.

Dino...I just realized I could separate the socket from the mount on the QLV-1. It was easy. I just used a nail punch and hammer and gently pushed the rivet out...no damage to the socket.

-

--------------------
Janice

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2012 08:47 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice Iam planning to convert a 9.5mm Specto projector to use a more modern lamp. The current lamp is rated 30 volts so the lamps you used in your conversion would match the existing transformer etc. I've never heard of the ELB or ENA lamps, do you know what the difference is? Thanks MIKE

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 25, 2012 09:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the same socket that is used in the Elmo GS1200? Sure looks like it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 26, 2012 01:42 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know what the difference between the ELB vs. ENA/EKP...but I've noticed that sometimes the base of the bulb is a different shape.

http://1000bulbs.com/product/1431/STAG-ELB.html

http://1000bulbs.com/product/1433/STAG-EKP.html

--------------------
Janice

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2012 04:01 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the weekend, I received the QLV1 and a new belt for the Sears Tower 584. This morning, I had time to work on the conversion and found a simple way to mount the lamp holder onto the projector.

First I tried an EFP 12v 100w and it blew out once I hit the lamp. Then, I went for a EFN 12v 75w and that one also blew out! I have many of these lamps and thought they would work but, I guess not.

So, which lamps am I supposed to use with the QLV1?

Almost there!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 26, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, unless you are talking about a different projector..didn't you say the previous bulb was 21V 150W? The bulb needs to match the same voltage to match the same output of the transformer in your projector which would be the EKE. I think the QLV1 will handle up to 120V 400W.

--------------------
Janice

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2012 07:38 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice, it's the same projector. After looking around, I found this link: http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampsocketqlv1.html

I had a EJL, put that in and it worked...however now there are problems with the speed of the projector after replacing the belt. It's stuck at around 18 to 20fps. On the "bright" side, my conversion is also done. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC