8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » [DIY] How to re-spool Technicolor cartridge in a minute

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [DIY] How to re-spool Technicolor cartridge in a minute
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 11, 2012 02:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got 12 reels of Buck Rogers (Buster Crabbe) in Technicolor cartridges.

I opened one and got a big headache in re-spooling it to a normal reel because the film was very well twisted. I took 1 hour to one and half hour to finish the job.

I wrote a thread about this very problem here:

How to re-spool Technicolor cartridge into normal 8mm reel?

and it seems I was not alone.

So the other 11 reels were never screened until I felt challenged to find the best method in re-spooling the film in a minute.

So I found the way.

ps: The Technicolor cartridge does not have screw, so we need to break the cartridge.

-

1. There are 5 nails in every cartridge. Insert: the red circles show where the nails are located.

Break this nails with hammer. In this picture, I use a small screw driver placed right in the hole

-

2. Cut the leader, and pull the film slowly

ps: lucky that all my films have the leader/tail right in the beginning. If you get the film half played, you still need to cut on that place (and re-splice later) because obviously the leader will be in the middle of the reel and you will not be able to find it.

-

3. Open the cartridge slowly and separate between the leader and tail

-

4. Put the leader and tail to respective place, one end is at the outer edge and the other end is in the center

ps: putting one end in the center is not easy because it will be very tight. Don't worry, you need only to gather them together no mater in good spooling or just messing in the centre... it does not make any different.

-

5. Now make an emergency reel by using a tape (use only this kind of paper tape - non-sticky). We have to really tight the center so it will not make a mess when we are going to rewind later

-

6. Place one end to empty reel

-

7. ....and do rewinding. It will move to the new reel in a minute shows like in this youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgzxI4ssUI

Good luck [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 07:04 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Winbert.
I have one of these cartridges on the way. Will try your method.
Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 11, 2012 10:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,

If you have a problem, you can always come to my place and we re-spool here.

BTW, did you know there is a guy in Pickering (very close to you) selling EFR (15v 150v) for $3 each. I knew you have Eumig with this type of lamp. The price is really stealing knowing it is usually sold $15 each. He has still plenty.

The lamp is not for disco (DJ) ones but a special lamp for projector. So this is ours, and I have tested it and found it has really brighter light and more white tint then the usual halogen lamp.

I will write a review in other thread.

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 03:04 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert
My cartridge came today. Took me about 5 minutes with no film mess.
Great tutorial!

Can you give me more info on the guy in Pickering? Sounds like a great deal.

Cheers
Terry

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 03:21 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert Great tutorial!

Is something that i can use in a future, but these technicolor cartridges are Super 8 or Standard 8mm ?

Thanks!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 11, 2012 03:23 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Winbert

Remember that film you got from me (Blue Water)? That came on the exact same cartridges. I re-spooled them the same way you did. You have to break them to get at the film. And, if you don't tape the film it pops out of the middle and makes a big curly mess. Well done Winbert.

PatD [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 11, 2012 05:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, I still have his contact. Will PM you in detail this evening. Btw what sort of movie you got in cartridge?

Manuel, all movies in Tecnicolor cartridge are super 8 only. This is due to the fact no standard 8mm catridge projector was ever made.

Just FYI most films in cartridges were sold 50% - 80% cheaper than those in normal reel. I bought my Buck Rogers series for merely $3 each postage included!!

Btw, on the other thread you are looking an advise for a cheap Japanese projector. The one I use for rewinding above was bought only for $25. It is Minolta 7100 sound.

Other brand you may consider are Chinon 330MV and all Sankyos lower model (eg 400, 501, 600).

Cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 07:10 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Winbert
This is the second Cartridge now. The first was ( I believe ) an airline print of the U8 400' A&C Meet Frankenstein. That ended up partly on the floor but at least I found the splice point at the beginning. Turned out OK after about a half hour of winding and the print was in good condition.

I just bought one of those car dealer cartridges you see all the time for a mere $3. It's for the 1978 Chevy El Camino.

Actually entertaining to watch but it is silent. Strangely, the color has held up very well!

Cheers
Terry

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC