8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Calling Electricians

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling Electricians
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 01:00 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I am getting myself confused on something...If you have a 5A transformer that is stepping down from 120v to 24v does that mean the total wattage it is capable of is 600w or 120w? [Confused]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 01:45 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, the 5A is the output current. If this is the case, then the output voltage multiplied by the current would give us 120 W.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 03:04 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Confirmed....120W.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 14, 2012 08:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually transformers are rated in Volt-Amperes (sort of like "Watts" but not exactly, it depends on what kind of load they are driving)

Is there a VA rating for this transfomer that you can see?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 11:28 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just trying to choose the proper transformer to power 24v 300w lamp..

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 14, 2012 11:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This character will do the job:

24VAC 400VA Transformer

It's capable of 400VA. You will use 300VA, but running power electronics flat out means they run hot, which means they won't last as long.

This is a dual primary and dual secondary transformer. To operate at 115VAC input you put the primaries in parrallel (To operate at 230, in series). For 24VAC you put the secondaries in parallel.(48 in series)

You’d need to put it in some sort of case, a pretty rugged one considering the weight of something like this (almost 10 Lbs.).

--------------------

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 12:08 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The transformer are quite expensive and big, look for a electronic transformer could be cheaper and small, if you are doing a lamp conversion, maybe you can try a 120V Lamp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EWG-120-VOLT-300-WATT-PROJECTOR-LAMP-PROJECTION-BULB-EIKI-16MM-120V-300W-/200750156928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebda44c80#ht_500wt_969

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 14, 2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another transformer could be cheaper if for example you found one used, but it can't be too much lighter or smaller.

-as Scotty said:

"I canna change the laws of physics!"

You want it to run cool, which means fatter wiring and a heavy metal core.

-and you run cool or pretty soon you won't be running at all!

A 24V(dc) 300W electronic power supply runs $447 in single piece quantities:

300W 24VDC

(Old employer of mine, actually...)

and gives you the bonus of a fan whining in the background.

Power has gotten cheaper, but it still ain't cheap.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve what about something like this? It even looks like it has a built in fan.

24V 20A transformer

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 14, 2012 02:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little generic Far-Eastern looking, but then again given the price I really doubt you can go too wrong with it, especially since you'll be running at a little more than half rated power.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 03:36 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I'm gonna give it a shot...thanks for the help Steve....

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC