8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sears Tower Film Speed Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sears Tower Film Speed Problem
Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2012 07:54 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Sears Tower Super Automatic, a nice projector that ran very steady until the belt became very worn. I finally had the chance to convert this projector (with a 1.2 lens and variable speed)to a halogen lamp and replaced the belt.

The lamp conversion worked just fine however, now the projector is running at around 18-20 fps, stuck there, speed decreases when it's supposed to go up! [Confused]

Does anyone know here how to fix this, the belt was supposed to be the right one, I got one here: http://www.turntableneedles.com/Round-Belt-Large-98-Inch_p_538.html

Could it be that the belt is to loose or the wrong one? Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 26, 2012 07:58 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could the new b ulb conversion be drawing too much current?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 26, 2012 08:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Could the new b ulb conversion be drawing too much current?

If that is the case, try projector running with and without the lamp. Do you notice the speed changes? If it does not, then I doubt that is the case, Pat.

--------------------
Winbert

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2012 09:45 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, but could be a possibility.

Did you check the temp before and after the conversion ?

If the new one is getting hotter that the old one, the band could get soft and lose friction.

But i think the possibility to be the a lack of current.

When i did the conversion I checked both parameters, current and temp.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 26, 2012 11:06 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem Gerald is DO NOT USE THE EJL BULB . It's 24V 200W . Again... you can only use A 21V bulb 150W like I have said previously...the EKE or EJV.

[ September 27, 2012, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2012 09:55 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks,

I've put in a EKE lamp and it looks really good but, ever since changing the belt over, I've noticed the reduction in speed.

It's still running at about 18- 20 fps with the new belt. When I try to turn up the speed, it slows down. I wonder what it could be? [Confused]

I don't have a way to check the current but, noticed this happening with the old lamp and belt.

Thanks to all for the advice!

--------------------

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2012 10:04 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald I don't know if this will help you or if you already know about Al Lasher's Electronic Store on University avenue in Berkeley. They have an assort ent of turntable belts there.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2012 10:18 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Richard, I've been to Al Lashers. Only problem there is belts are non-returnable and I think I have the right one. However, I'll go there again this weekend and try a smaller one.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 28, 2012 06:21 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just having a wild guess Gerald,but on some projectors,they
have potentiometers for the control of current, is it possible
that it has been moved.Or maybe the transformer is on it's way
out.Even with no belts attatched you would have an idea if the
machine is running to correct speed.Is there another belt in there
that alters the cycles that has been overlooked?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC