8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann's "bad soundstripe" era (mid-90's) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Derann's "bad soundstripe" era (mid-90's)
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2012 03:53 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference between paste & laminate stripe . Laminate was glued to the film stock, but would only stick to acetate based film stock. You could stripe your own films using laminate stripe. It was supplied on reels for home use, lots of manufactures used to advertise their machines in the various film magazines.

When polyester stock arrived, the first 8mm probably from Fuji in their Single 8mm camera film. The unexposed film could be striped with laminate stripe as the glue to stick it was on the emulsion of the film. After developing it was impossible to stick to the film stock.

I believe for printing super 8mm on polyester stock 35mm or 16mm was used and supplied pre-striped on the emulsion again after developing like with Fuji the magnetic stripe was still there. When Kodak stopped making pre-stripe (due I think to banned chemicals) the supply of packaged films almost stopped overnight.

This man who must be the hero to ALL film collectors Derek Simmonds who’s faith in collectors the world over, put his money where his mouth was and invested in a paste stripping machine. The paste as the name implies is in liquid form and this had to be at the correct constancy. An article in Film For The Collector (I think) mentioned the trials & errors, tearing of hair and spoiled film over the first few months till they got it right. The machine had lots of rollers and a large drying cabinet where the film was looped up and down quite a few times to curer the paste. Pressure rollers were used to flatten the paste onto the film. This is from memory.

I had to send a couple of prints back due to the paste just lifting off the film.

Remember the balance stripe was just that, to allow the film to spool level. At one time Walton Films stopped putting it on their films, they got loads of complaints and started putting it back on. Think to have stereo sound on super8 is a minor miracle.

Back in the 80’s I sent some black leader film to have stripe put on this was paste, the company could have been Film Facility’s Magnetic.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2012 02:36 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak stopped supplying pre-stripe stock because it was uneconomic. The banning of chemical stories were all a bit of a smoke screen to hide the truth.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2012 04:48 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose John's statement could be called Clancy-fied information. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2012 05:35 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So they used the old ‘Global Warming’ scam to make people think it wasn’t Kodak then. Looks like they made a mistake stopping production, now that they have gone bust. Like to think that’s why.

My theory on ‘Global Warming’ its not caused by power stations or cars because aren’t these products derived from trees, plant and animal life millions of years ago. If that is true they are carbon neutral.
No global warming stems from TV & communication satellites. They work on low powered microwave transmissions. Just think about what that means?

Back to magnetic stripe on film, is any company out there that can stripe film? UK preferred. I have almost used all my black striped leader, and will soon require some more doing. Its plastic type.

Would the profile be different between laminate and paste stripe? This could make a big difference to the sound heads on your projector. Not sure about this but would the heads wear and possibly cause problems if your films were mainly one type of stripe and then play another type? I know paste stripe had rollers to smooth it out.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2012 11:31 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to D. Cheshire Book of S/8 Filmmaking, paste stripe is a little more abrasive than laminated.

Poly film can only accept paste stripe; celluloid accepts both types. Switching from one type to another on the same film will cause a certain audible difference, though it's almost impossible to say which type of stripe putperforms the other, if both striping have been done as state-of-the-art. Also some slight variations in the focus might have to taken into account if using a very fast lens (F1.0). As a rule of thumb you should always have just one type of stripe on a given film.

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC