8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The most recent films on Std 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The most recent films on Std 8?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 10:02 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing Hugh's post regarding obtaining 'The Corpse' on Std 8 made me wonder what the most recent films to appear on Std 8 were - either as features or edited versions? As 'The Corpse' was a 1971 film, I'd be surprised if anything appeared that was significantly more recent, but I suppose Std 8 releases continued to appear until at least the mid-1970s, so I wouldn't dare jump to conclusions.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 10:10 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This ad offers an Apollo 16 film in Regular 8, and that mission was in April, 1972. I got offers in the early '80s for a reduced price on this particular Reg 8 movie as they were trying to clear out their stock, so I know it was produced.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004786#000000

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, there was a short bid at optical sound standard 8mm, and one of the releases (or perhaps the only release, as I never heard of another one), was "Futureworld" a 1976 sci-fi flick, so it was still used at least that late.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 02:58 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian, John & Osi, there was also the std 8mm release of
Columbia's "Golden Voyage of Sinbad" 4x200 col/snd, that was
a pretty quiet release, the only others I can think of, Derann
releases all, "Something Creeping in the Dark","Night of the
Damned","Incense for the Damned" which were released around
the time these films were doing the rounds in the early '70s.
I remember reading the reviews to these films in the now defunct
"World of Horror",and they were for hire and sale on 8mm!

[ October 21, 2012, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2012 09:39 AM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently had Planet of the Apes in standard 8mm color sound. It was the exact same edit as Ken Films did with their super 8 digest, so this had to have been produced after 1974. By whom, I don't know. Color was retained, believe it or not, but the quality was horrendous. Looked like a double dupe; unclear and lacking any density. One viewing and that was it for moi.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC