8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » will a german member bid on something for me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: will a german member bid on something for me?
Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2012 10:42 PM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it is on german ebay and not available to USA I really need this splicer PM me if you are willing to bid on something and send it to the USA, thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 07, 2012 01:17 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should email the seller. Many times they say they wont and if you ask politely (important) they may do it.
Its worth a try. I got a Bauer T610 that way.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 07, 2012 05:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you are right Alan.

But sometimes the listing has been set up to reject bid comes from outside and the seller does not know (or forget) to change this.

If this is very important item and time is short, I think asking a german member is the best way.

Ps: I once snipbid a listing for UK only after got a greenlight from the seller but in a second before the bidding end I received a nasty message that "seller does not ship to the country you registered"

[ November 07, 2012, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 07, 2012 08:44 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth, as time is of the essence, why not "bite the bullet" and
ask one of our German members.I'm sure they will help if they can, remember not everyone visits this forum on a regular basis
and might miss your request.Best of luck.

Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2012 09:07 AM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well thay said shipping would be 40 Euros (untrue) they said there would be a customs fee for me (untrue, this is a european thing and does not happen in the USA. so I cannot get this any other way

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 07, 2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don`t know if many Germans don`t know that Deutsche Post (run by DHL) is the cheapest international shipping service in the world along with the USPS. You can check their tariff online.

They can send to max 2 kg for EUR 15.99 (flatrate) any where. It is airmail utit does not have tracking. However, I received it once it is still has barcodes numbers attached to the box.

I just guess that they do not inform the tracking numbers just for the sake they can distinguish the service with the trackable ones which is double the cost. But once item gets lost they still can track it through the barcodes.

At last, I trust with the good name of DHL.

ps: if all german sellers are open with international selling and willing to take that service as well as using paypal as the payment method, I would have had plenty Bruce Lee, Monster, and horror movies. Just if... [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 07, 2012 09:31 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kenneth,I don't know if it works the other way, but it is VERY
expensive shipping from the US to the UK and there are customs
costs to be paid which does take the edge off any purchases.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2012 09:34 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

without tracking/insurance/... shipping a small parcel (up to 2kg and some restrictions on the size) from Germany to the USA with dhl is 15.90 EUR. However if you want to include tracking/insurance/... then you'll have to send it as a "larger parcel" (up to 5kg) which is 36.00 EUR. Express shipment is 95.90 EUR!
(There's a "small parcel incl. tracking and some kind of insurance" for only 16.90 EUR. But it's only available online. So you'll need a printer, self-adhesive sheets for the printer, a computer that does support java, a paypal- or POSTPAY-account, ... . And the "insurance" is only up to 35 EUR. So this isn't really an option in most cases.)

And yes, even when shipping from Europe to the USA, then you might have to pay the US customs (depending on the "value" of the shipped parcel):
quote:
As indicated earlier, bona fide, unsolicited gifts will clear Customs duty free as long as their fair retail value does not exceed $100 and the recipient does not receive more than $100 worth of gifts in the same day.
Source: http://www.cbp.gov/ImageCache/cgov/content/publications/internationalm ail_2edoc/v1/internationalmail.doc

Jörg

Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2012 10:00 AM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
itss a splicer so It shouldnt be too much to send here. The seller has refused to ship it to me unfortunatly. here is the funny thing, I found it because I look on Ebay.de sometimes for film stuff and you could put something in your watchlist and see it on the american ebay when you logged in and it would translate alot of the page. Now if you click on it in american ebay it shows you a blank screen and says the item is no longer available in the USA! even though its still running on Ebay.de.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 07, 2012 11:02 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth, please understand that in any country there should be custom for imported items. It is generally done using the formula CIF, i.e (Cost + Insurance + Freight) x % custom + VAT/tax + excessive tax (if applicable).

The CIF formula makes everything to become expensive especially for a cheap item but high shipping cost.

A country will set up a max amount that is tax free. For example in my home country Indonesia is $50. Any items declared below $50 will be free but more than that will follow the above formula.

So if I imported $75 item, then the amount of custom I need to pay is $75 - $50 (value of free item) =

($25 + value of insurance + value of shipping) x percentage of custom fee.

So in your case, you might pay custom or might not depending on the above formula and the max amount for item to become custom free amount set up by US Custom.

quote:
Now if you click on it in american ebay it shows you a blank screen and says the item is no longer available in the USA! even though its still running on Ebay.de.
You cannot see a listing run only for German member under a URL ended with ".com". Change ".com" to become ".de" and you will see everything.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC