8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 824 Sonomatic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 824 Sonomatic
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 10:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been very fortunate to buy a pristine Eumig 824 from German ebay. It was described as "new", but having had previous knowledge of sellers who rather over-elaborate their listings, I wasn't really expecting the Eumig as described.

I was very surprised (and pleased) that it certainly seems unused complete with the little plastic packets still sealed, and the red motor wedges still in place. Plus, all paperwork, including the graph showing the machine's sound test.

Having been used to earlier models (without the Sonomatic feature) I knew that there was storage space inside the side cover for the parts not being in use at that moment. However, there was only one item, the rear gate-plate for standard 8. After searching though all the packing I found a plate, still sealed with the spare fuse and small spool of striped film for sound testing. The instruction book describes this plate as a "storage panel". It has receptacles for the two Super 8 sprocket toothed flanges, and the Super 8 bush from the feed arm.

The instruction book says: "To have the storage panel always at hand pull off the protective foil and stick the panel to the projector."

Where have other users of this projector stuck theirs?

It seems a pity that Eumig could not provide storage space for the items, but there's no space left after the Sonomatic unit was added.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 12:30 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also curious what others will say. I have the same delima, I had gotten an 824 still in the box and the storage plate had never been used and I could never bring myself to stick it on.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 01:33 PM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are gonna laugh, I too got a near mintbarely used Eumig 824 and havent stuck mine anywhere either, it still has the backing on mine as well.....now if I only could find instructions on how to get to the spring and change it so it will run at full speed right at startup. there was a german page once that showed it but I lost the link. It also showed how to change the belts in a 1200HD

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 09:49 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice - That's a fantastic find to get a "new" 824. It must have been worth paying the high transportation costs. I'd love to find a virtually unused one as I'm told the one drawback of the 824 is that's somewhat prone to wear to the head, so one with a like new head would be great.

I bought a good used one a few years ago and found the plate for the Super 8 parts embedded in the polystyrene at the bottom of the box! The foil had been removed but it seemed to have never been stuck anywhere, which suited me. When the projector is in the box, I simply leave it in the cavity where the handle protudes, and take it out when I use the projector.

Does the small spool have what seems like striped white leader and have you listened to what's recorded on it? It might be the same as one I got with an earlier Eumig. If by any chance you could take one or two photos showing the projector and all the accessories, it would be fascinating to see how they looked when brand new.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 09, 2012 03:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian

The little film spool is still sealed in its packet. It appears to be clear film, not white, described in the manual as "1 Film reel with edge-striped prerecorded Super 8-film (with balance stripe)".

So, from the above it could be single or double striped.

As regards pictures, I am still digesting the helpful comments that Winbert recently put on the Forum for me. Until I am successful I can't put up any photographs.

However, here is the link to the ebay purchase. After clicking on it, further click at the left to get the full screen listing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eumig-824-Filmprojektor-NEU-OVP-nie-gebraucht-Super-8-/221136424910?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=iegnIoq9THatcfZE5wCoExWvqk g%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The price converted to £86.95, plus carriage from Austria at £13.29. I think I've got my money's worth!

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 09, 2012 06:33 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice - Thanks, the photo on the listing is fine. Congratulations on a sensational buy, I'll have to start checking Austrian listings! I can only assume that people didn't bid more because they thought it was too good to be true!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 09, 2012 09:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was on German ebay. I'm not sure if there is an Austrian ebay.

If you want Bauer or Eumig the site is a good place to look at, these models probably sold more in Germany than perhaps the UK, hence prices are more reasonable.

You, of course, have to find a seller who is willing to ship to the EU and not just their own country. Not only that, it is very necessary to check if the projector's voltage is variable, not just their local 220. Eumig score here with their wide range of voltage selection.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC