8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Any shops in Canada selling 8mm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any shops in Canada selling 8mm?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 22, 2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If so, can you please tell me where?

Have an aquantance there

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 22, 2012 04:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I am only a visitor in Canada (I will end my contract next June 2013), I am not authorized to answer. But in this forum I have expressed many times on how hard is to get 8mm here, especially for films.

If it is projector, there are some plenty around but most of them are Bell & Howell which is not a fav of most of us here.

I don't understand too why 8mm films disappeared from any flea markets or second hand stores (thrift store) in Canada. I could not imagine people in 1970 they did not have it.

Even for my home country Indonesia which is still categorized as a developing country (a poor country), people used this format at home and we can still get those 8mm copies at flea market.

In Canada I bought only 2 films for the last 3.5 years of my terms and they were not great. I also did not see any French speaking films while Canada is a bilingual country. So how do those people watched movie at that time, I don't have any idea.

Perhaps genuine Canadian members can give the light, Terry, Alex, who else?

--------------------
Winbert

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 10:06 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.Vidar, back in the 1970-80 there were a few dealers here in Canada, as far as I know there are no dealers now .Halmar Ent., was one of the dealers and as far as I know he is still in business but only in DVD, hope this is of some help Alex.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 10:22 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So no chance of old stock lying around? ;-)

Okay, so it's not any better than Norway then ... Here I can not find any decent Photo Stores, they mostly don't know anything than digital cameras ... Miss the old stores, where people knew what they talked about

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 10:39 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Alex, if we go to Quebec (french speaking province), any chance we got Film Office releases?

I'd like to get those Film Office prints since they were mostly on AGFA, hence no fade.

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 11:19 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My remembrance of the heyday of super for me was late 70'd early 80's. My 8mm fix usually came from the local Library which had lots and lots of titles on racks to borrow. You had to go to a counter for 16mm.
As far as stores go I can only remember K-Mart having films for sale. I too, ordered a few through the Blackhawk catalog.

Once the VHS revolution hit 8mm just dissapeared. I wonder where the Library collections ended up?

Even for me, 8mm fell to the wayside for a number of years. It's been in the last 10 years the hobby is back in full force for me.
In that time I've been lucky enough to find a couple of collections for sale at decent prices. One was in Toronto the other I had shipped from Montreal (both found as ads on KIJIJI). Found a bunch of sealed Disney digest at a local Value Village once and the odd films at memorabilia or Toy shows.
But yeah, its not easy to find stuff.

That said there's a vintage camera show this weekend in Toronto that is supposed to also have cine stuff so maybe I'll check that out.

Cheers
Terry

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 11:22 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi., Winbert.You could try your luck but i have my doubts if you would find any Super8mm.There were two stores in Montreal that did deal in super8mm and16mm that was more than 25years ago so unless they went to digital i'm sure they are long gone. Alex

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2014 09:03 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I got into Super 8 movie is because I am a big fan of fleamarkets here in Ontario. While shopping for whatever a couple years ago, I stumbled upon a pile of super 8's and bought everyone since they were in such good condition.
Since then i have search high and low at almost every flea market around here...and have had very limited success. You will pretty much find at least 1 or 2 films at every venue if you look hard, but what shape will they be in? That is the issue. Most fleamarkets do not keep the ones we would want but rather the older 8mm's in rough shape.
On a local buy and sell here called kijiji, you can find the odd film. The best ways to find what you want are ebay, or Phil's vintage movies.....
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 11, 2014 03:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, that was my same experience when visiitng flea market at across Ontario (I was in Toronto btw for 4 years). Don't understand where those films have gone. Even in a developing countries like Indonesia where I live now, I still get films easier here. I believe there were more Canadians using 8mm in 1970s than Indonesians.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC