8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » REELPORTER - LONG PLAY UNIT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: REELPORTER - LONG PLAY UNIT
Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else come across or own one of these interesting items currently produced in Belgium?

Search Ebay Item number: 270996270317 (auction now completed)

See this YouTube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1V-OylgKE

Best,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2012 10:03 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rick,

built my own longplay-unit about 2 years ago (as you can see on my homepage), but this item looks interesting.

With a little bit of knowledge and tools, you can rebuild the Reelporter and have not to pay 350 Euros.
Sorry, but I think that is tooooo much. Perhaps I will try it by myself for an ST 1200 [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2012 10:18 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks OK, but it's not shown with a full big spool, I'm wondering that if you use this unit for too long the inside tensions will be put out, let alone the extra weight on the main motor, I'm no expert, but using the machines exsisiting motors may be to much when the back spool (which looked like a minimum of 2000') is full up.

Just a thought.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2012 01:33 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree with you Barry. The motors are designed for 1200ft spools. I use the Spondon arms, these take up to 6000ft of 16mm, they have their own motor. I bought a Fumeo which takes 2400ft spools, but its only mono. MO though.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 19, 2012 03:14 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only marvel at the engineering behind it,but I honestly
don't think those little motors in the GS1200 were meant to
carry loads that these arms are capable of holding.There's got
to be a point where you're actually harming your projector.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2012 12:38 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel extenders are a nifty idea and I commend the people who are able to invent such devices, but the manufacturers installed motors in their projectors designed to withstand the weight of each unit's factory-designed maximum take up capacity (ie: 400'-1200'). The original factory-installed motors will burn out from all the extra weight it's being forced to deal with. I don't advise using reel extenders unless they work independently with their own drive system and the projector is just running the film.

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2012 07:45 AM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gone with the wind in one go, wouldn't that be something... I suppose I'd have to raise the ceiling at home [Big Grin]

Michael, I've often gone through your description on how to build such a thing... with admiration! (Danke im Übrigen für die Site, hab ne Menge bei dir gelernt).

On a more general level: has anybody information about 8mm reel extender manufacturers? I mean, from the 70es or 80es... what models might show up on ebay? Were there a lot? What's to consider if buying?

Thanks everybody... [Cool]

--------------------
Vinegar belongs in the salad...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 20, 2012 08:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huge applause for the innovation here and looks beautifully made but with very small motors on the GS only designed for 1200ft reel weight maximum I would have concerns about using it with what would amount to double the amount of film on a 2400ft spool. Far better to seek out the stand alone SPONDON LONG PLAY UNIT which has its own motor and electronically controlled tension etc.

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2012 10:30 AM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct Lee. The GS motors can't handle larger than 1200' reels. Those small gears get destroyed...The ST models can handle more footage..

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2012 05:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just recently aquired the Spondon Long Play Arms for my Bauer T610 and I have to say that I now consider myself to have the best of everything! They are very well manufactured and Engineered, can load at least 2400ft reels of Super 8 film if not more, run silently and hassle free ie with the tension set just right you can have the Spondon unit switched on with the projector off so that it takes up in perfect tandom with the Bauers start buttton! I now have a system that allows me to watch all my features on the almost silent running Bauer in Stereo with no fears of the infamous Elmo scratch!! Just fantastic! I also have the Bauer M/L 190 for my optical features and when fitted with a Xenophot 150w lamp and the Schneider F1.1 lens gives of an image almost identical to the T610. So finally I am at peace with the world for watching Super 8 hassle free. ps thanks to Erwin & Hugh for helping me to get to this level of satisfaction at last [Smile] ))

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2012 02:46 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew You have a great unit with the Spondon, although I have only used ELMO ST/GS super8. It sounds like you have a good set-up. Its really good to put your film show on without having to change reels. Did you get the standard one? Mainly for 8mm or the 16mm 6000ft version, that's the one I bought. Virtually them same, but the 16mm had extension on the bottom. Also great for film cleaning.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2012 02:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,thanks for the advice previously btw and yes I will try Phil at CHC as I have dealt with him quite a lot in recent times and from visiting his store I know it is something of an Aladdins cave and therefore there probably is a good chance he may have some spares. I think the version I have is just the Super 8 version though the 1200ft reels are mounted 19" above base level so I cant imagine how big the reels could go on this unit! Very impressed with it though especially the build quality the fact it folds away very neatly and runs silently!! Really pleased with this set up now, runs almost as quietly as my Pannasonic Home Theater projector now, which is exactly what you need when the projector is in the room you are viewing the film in.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2012 06:54 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I too appreciated the fact that the GS motors may not be up to it or maybe there's some clever gearing going on, however my initial question was...

"Has anyone else come across or own one of these interesting items"

...would be interesting to hear from someone who actually has seen one in action, or lives with one, anyone?

Best,
Rick

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 22, 2012 09:29 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

Excellent website. I spent over an hour reading it.

PatD

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC