8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Number of Star Wars 2012 Screenings (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Number of Star Wars 2012 Screenings
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 29, 2012 04:53 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I just got the Reel Image magazine yesterday and it said Star Wars on Super 8 even outperforms the Blu-Ray ... And the Blu-Ray has quite a crisp picture

Anybody have a cheap trailer of high quality that shows off the possibilities of Super 8?

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 29, 2012 05:29 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Graham is probably refering to the Ken versions, which
weren't the best in terms of picture rendition, the features being
better, but as John Clancy rightly stated,there are other prints
on S/8 from the Derann stable that are far and away better than
the quality of "Star Wars", for example their print of "Flash Gordon" is stunnig with deep rich colours,"Fearless Vampire
Killers", "Who Dares Wins" all have better print than "Star Wars".

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2012 05:37 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Hugh I was refering to the feature prints. I dont have a copy myself but several comments from others state that the print quality is not the best and suffers from grain, lack of sharpness and printing marks. And yet copies still go for £600+ but like I say thats Star Wars, but if you was demonstrating super 8 to a novice you would probably show Predator and/or a Disney.

Graham S

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 29, 2012 01:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really hard to describe STAR WARS to those who weren't all that enamored to begin with, (Micheal, for instance).

"Landmark" really is appropriate for this film. Landmark in the sense of special effects. Yeah ... there were other successful special effects films in the past ("War of the Worlds" comes to mind), but I know that I never saw a special effects film that really made you feel that you were seeing a wholy different world or universe, brought to brilliant life.

A good comparison is "logans Run", made just the year before, but with special effects that look old and dated, and just one year later with STAR WARS. I like both films, but it's like night and day.

That, and STAR WARS came out right during a period where not only was the news on the nightly news constantly depressing,
(gas shortages, crime up and lets not forgot terrorism and hostage taking becoming everyday things), but even most films in the theaters had a dark gritty "urban" (for lack of a better term) feel.

The world was a dark place and for the first time, in a major way, Hollywood was concentrating on the dark side of things. That, and emphasizing and making look good, anything that was counter-cultural. (note: Hollywood has always always embraced the counter cultural, but in the past, on the fringes of cinema and not right up from as they did in the late 60's on up)

Lucas learned earlier on than most, what theater goers wanted to see ... feel good movies, which is why "American Graphiti"
was such a hit for him, looking back to really, what was considered (even by the audiences, obviously, by ticket sales) by that time, a last lingering piece of innocence, right before Vietnam and other debacles starting to become the norm.

Taking off from there, Goerge Lucas simply made another "feel-good" movie with no dark undercurrent of politics, counter-culturalism or any of that other rot and instead of placing it in the early 1960's placed it in outer space instead.

The theater going audience ATE it up, standing in line (yeah! I remember doing it to!) for two or three times repeatedly per day, to watch this marvelous fantasy film.

George never looked back ... nearly every film he has helmed has been a feel good film in general, and aren't we thankful that he came along with his fantasy film when he did?

I hope that this might explain a little of the "mystique" of STAR WARS.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 29, 2012 01:12 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Osi, there are many movies for which all of what you said holds true at different points in the history of the movies.
What I'm wondering is why it holds such attraction for Super 8 collectors all these years later?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 29, 2012 02:48 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be Michael that it's just pure nostalgia for folks like Osi,
that have happy memories connected with the queues and
finally getting to see this hyped up film.After the generation that
viewed it first has died out,I can't see it being held in such high esteem, much like the "Harry Potter" craze, or the Beatles.
In Sir Alec Guinness autobiography, he recounts the tale at one
of his book signings in San Francisco,a twelve year old boy was
presented to him by his proud Mum,on being told that the boy
had seen "Star Wars" over 100 times, Sir Alec asked the boy
to do something for him, to which the child readily agreed,
and that was to promise never to watch it again.His Mother in
shock hastily tore the child away telling him "What a dreadful
thing to say to a child!" As Sir Alec said, "I hope the lad,now in
his thirties (the book was published 1999) is not living in a
fantasy world of secondhand childish banalities"
I have fond memories of the film connected with the "bootlace"
watching it with friends and enjoying a drink with them.No doubt if I suggested we do the same thing now, they would think me certifiable.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2012 04:32 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the originals in the theatre when I was 9, 12 and 15 and my son was 9, 12 and 15 when the second trilogy came out. Together we love all the films and always have a great time watching them all together. It's hard to pin point why we connect to them...we just do. Having part of it on "film" for me is special.

Bill [Smile]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2012 05:02 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason so many Super 8 collectors love it so much is because it was the film that got them into film collecting in the first place. Yes, we had projectors and films before the Super 8 extracts from Star Wars appeared but that first black and white 200ft reel was being shown in our house before the feature was released in UK cinemas. The colour 400ft seemed to go on forever to young children who could never have dreamed they'd see the film any other way than at the cinema or on the television five years later and yet here it was being shown in a private home.

Star Wars gave a major boost to the Super 8 film collecting hobby. It was a milestone picture in many respects and Super 8 benefited from it enormously. It's not the best film ever made but it is amongst my favourites largely because of the history I have with it personally - and that personal history is mainly Super 8.

I hope that answers your question Mike.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 30, 2012 05:26 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that explains some peoples interest I guess.
I became interested in collecting primarily through Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine and the Universal monsters films. Star Wars, though I was of course aware of the hype surrounding it at the time, had no impact on me.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 30, 2012 05:30 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty amazing really Lucas let it escape onto 8 as well and I’m with John in that it does hold many memories for so many on 8mm. Pulled my now ancient film & box out of the archive only yesterday and the teenage memories come flooding back projecting it on the old Eumig. Happy days!

Mr Sinden may be a little wrong about the iffy print quality of the scope feature as I find it quite amazing through the f1 lens 8Z combo and in stereo.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 30, 2012 08:19 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But where it the version where Luke misses his first grappling hook throw? Inquiring minds want to know. Me. [Smile]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2012 12:14 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,

I dont have the super 8 feature myself as I explained so I cannot really comment myself. I was merely repeating some previous comments made from members who have seen 1st run prints and more. If you do a search you can read some of them. Enjoy the new year.

Graham S

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2012 05:55 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael
I think the major reason is an age thing...If you look at the average age of the film collectors who are holding Star Wars in such high esteem, i am betting they will be in the 40 - 55 range and were young enough when they first saw it that it made a huge impression on them, and let's not forget it was a hugely successful film which means more people are going to rate it as important than a not so successful film....Then finally the reason I would want a Super 8 print of it is because of all of Lucas's messing around with it...Because of that the 1977 version of the film, which I believe all of the Super 8 releases are, represents a moment in time that someone is attempting to erase from history, which places it as a more unique Super 8 print than almost all others...I actually have a British IB Tech 35mm print, but have yet to ever pick up a Super 8, but would if the price was right.... (Or I should say if the price was right and I had nothing else to spend the money on)

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 30, 2012 06:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
My interest in this hobby was like Michaels, inspired by the ads
in FM & MW then the ads in 8mm Magazine and Movie Maker
that set me off on a quest for "One Million Years B.C."

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2012 07:59 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, at best Star Wars is little more than an average print. Even through my own HTI projector it ain't great. First run prints are better but as I say, little better than an average print. Much better prints around and that is great news because if you're pleased with Star Wars the better prints will look astonishing by comparison.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 31, 2012 09:17 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think I will end 2012 with a screening of my old 400ftr on the even older non HTI Eumig. 75 Watts of burning lamp power! [Eek!]
Have a good new years eve everyone... [Cool]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 01, 2013 08:53 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here is my print screened in 2012 (without anamorphic lens):

-

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC