8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Advice required RE projection and destruction (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Advice required RE projection and destruction
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 24, 2013 06:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Winbert, you wouldn't want this old man in arms
length of you

Just give me an anti-thesis, and that it. No need unusefull long words! [Eek!]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 24, 2013 06:56 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,i think we have bored the members too long on this by
now tedious topic, all avenues have been explored,writing a thesis
or any other article,serves no purpose here.Art like music or
humour is a personal view, the twanging of an instrument with
two strings and the clashing of cymbals is music in some countries
but to other people it's a din, lets leave it at that.

Sam Hallett
Junior

- posted January 25, 2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Sam Hallett   Email Sam Hallett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the reply and interest in my project rob I''ll definitely let you know how it turns out . i'll be showcasing some time in early may so expect a video or something then though i will try to get it to you privately lest hugh make pretty patterns out of my face which I am now clear is NOT art.

my main constrain is budget and know how. Ive got a spending range of about 40 pounds and have been looking at a KODAK-Brownie-EIGHT-58-8mm- projector on ebay

my concern is that I don't know if this would be loop ready as I can't see any spools. sorry if this is displaying ignorance on my part I am a digital student and work with sensors.

i was thinking of two ways to degrade :a robot controlled arm fitted with sand paper which would definitely not damage the projector or two arms the first applying acetone (on wool) and the second dry wool to wipe off any acetone before it reaches the projector.

this raises my question on the browning on whether in it's configuration there is even an exposure of traveling film to build these systems around.

I have looked for the ones you suggested but there mostly out of my price range , that being said I have another meeting with my tutor on monday to discuss the possibility of them buying one for me.

if all goes well on monday I may be able to stretch to a bolex 18-5 which I think would suit my purpose?

I'll look into that splicer you mentioned. Someone else mentioned the use of magnets in distorting sound and it seems brilliant but i might not have time.

also i think that these heated discussions over art are quite interesting but have run their course. At the risk of incurring the wrath of hugh I may include some of his comments in my exhibition , would you be ok with that hugh. i just think it would be interesting to exhibit something but also provide a very negative commentary , would be quite funny.

thanks to everyone who's remained calm and been supportive

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 25, 2013 02:16 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to believe that the destruction of 3 minutes of 8mm film has caused such a debate. Talk about taking a "hobby" too seriously.
Hugh, there's plenty of film knocking about, man. The loss of 30 or 40 feet isn't going to be felt by anyone.

Pretty hilarious.
[Big Grin]

Good luck with the project, Sam.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2013 04:39 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just came across Sam's write up on his project, it looks to have been quite a success and clearly the "information and advice" received on this forum helped him to put it all together. You can read all about it here:

http://samhallettdotcom.wordpress.com/

Mike [Cool]

Edit: once you've clicked on the link you need to scroll a way down the page to see where the form is mentioned.

[ August 30, 2013, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Mike Peckham ]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2013 06:51 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only just noticed this discussion, don't want to get involved or prolong it, but I think Winbert was incorrect about Martial Art, it doesn't have the same meaning as a Michaelangelo. I believe it means the same as Science. Body building is a science; you can spend months building up your triceps, but you will never get a hundredweight above your head unless you build up your deltoids. The old teachers knew the body as well as any doctor. Unless you know how each muscle connects and how they perform you will get knowhere.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC