8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » MovieStuff.TV's Newest Telecine...Anyone? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MovieStuff.TV's Newest Telecine...Anyone?
David Singer
Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2014 12:07 PM      Profile for David Singer   Author's Homepage   Email David Singer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andy, I did not notice hat the software is now a separate charge, which actually makes it slightly more expensive then what I paid for it in late October (there's a 2 month shipping lead time).

--------------------
David Singer

|  IP: Logged

David A Cooper
Junior

- posted April 07, 2014 10:20 PM      Profile for David A Cooper   Email David A Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received my Retro-8 about 3 weeks ago and have run about 45 small reels through it already. Very impressed with the stability and quality it produces. Since you remember these old 8mm films being played on a loud projector in the basement the film jumping around and pulsating the results of the Retro-8 are rock solid. There are independent controls for luminance and contrast as well as color and framing so you can get a really good transfer. The problem now I am having is that I want to edit the films and eventually burn them to DVD. The transfers can be converted to Photo JPEG and imported into a non-linear system. I was wondering if anyone else that has the Retro-8 has been using Final Cut Pro? I have never worked with this codec before and want to know the best work flow process. I hope I don't get beat up too much for taking this off topic to NLE but I do think it is related to the Retro-8 subject. The ability to clean up the ends of transfer and re-organize and add titles to a project can really enhance the 8mm experience much greater when you can produce DVD copies of 8mm films to the family in a neat and organized way. If there are anyone else that has the Retro-8 that has worked in Final Cut Pro with the Photo JPEG codec at 17fs I would love to hear from you and discuss your work flow since I am having a lot of trouble with it.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2014 12:20 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David I have in Avid and in Adobe Premiere and it is very easy and the files integrate perfectly so I have to imagine final cut would be the same.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

David A Cooper
Junior

- posted April 08, 2014 09:11 AM      Profile for David A Cooper   Email David A Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"David I have in Avid and in Adobe Premiere and it is very easy and the files integrate perfectly so I have to imagine final cut would be the same."

Dino - When you import into Avid (or Premier) are you taking the Photo JPEG version as a .MOV. I would think so, the other option on the Retro-8 software creates individual JPEG stills (hundreds of them). In FCP there are many options of the format for your sequence or timeline but none offer 17fps. They seem to import just fine and I can play the clip in the browser but when I edit it into the timeline it requires rendering. It always ends in a general error and never completes the rendering. Also, the clips shouldn't have to be rendered either. Of course the trick here is to make sure the sequence settings match the incoming video format. If anyone familiar with FCP could comment that would be very helpful.

David Foster
Junior

- posted November 03, 2015 02:16 PM      Profile for David Foster   Email David Foster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I am interested in whether you came to any conclusions regarding workflow in Final Cut Pro. I too am a novice with Final Cut, and I also use a retro-8.
If you haven't sorted this out, I'd be happy to bounce some ideas around. I have FCPX, and am still getting to grips with their terminology (where are the bins and why would they get rid of that term!) However, I think it's worth persisting with. Happy to become part of the problem solving team. Kind regards, David Foster.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC