8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay's sense of justice ....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay's sense of justice ....
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 01:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my case has come to close ...

To refresh memory ...

A buyer bought an ELMO 1200ft reel from me. The buyer stated that the reel was bent beyond repair. I don't accept items back, so the chap (I'm assuming chap, most film enthusiasts are put in a case against me.

Ebay decided that as soon as the buyer sends back the damaged reel, he gets all of his money back. I don't see the justice in it. half back I could understandably see, as we would both be out of pocket on it, but he sends it back to me, and I get a damaged reel, due to no fault on my part that I can't do nothing but "bin" it and I'm out all that money.

Well, I blocked the buyer from future purchases and as a general rule I won't be selling reels anymore, but dangit (not the word I want to use), I'm screwed. Danged ebay!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the buyer should eat the whole cost either as we are both victims of some postal person abusing the item, but to get each and every penny back? In my assessment, it's not appropriate.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 01:28 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
That's ebay for you,Non payers seem to get away with it as well,I've had a few lately and on two occasions i didn't get my fees back,Not my fault they didn't pay.Sometimes it's not worth saying anything,As a seller you seem to have no control of the buyers actions,All wrong!! Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 01:44 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What damage was done to the reel, Osi?

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A buyer bought an ELMO 1200ft reel from me. The buyer stated that the reel was bent beyond repair

Hi Michael,Osi put this above,I'm sure it could be straightened out! Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 02:02 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Mark.
I saw that - I was just wondering exactly how badly it was bent.

I'm wondering how the hell a postal worker could've bent it beyond repair, though those guys seem to be able to damage anything, in my experience.
How was it packed, Osi? Was the buyers beef that you didn't pack it properly?
Did the buyer send you a photo of the bent reel?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 06:39 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - can't you claim any compensation from USPS for the damage? Anyone in the UK in a comparable situation can do this in relation to the Royal Mail.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 07:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your comment was very interesting Mark, the exact same statement as my buyer stated. In order to get they're money back, they must mail the reel back to me and i must state that I have recieved it back, which I will of course do.

Being that it was staying stateside, the reel was ...

1. In it's original reel box, (for the ELMO 1200ft reel)

2. I wrapped it, very tightly four times over with brwon package wrapping paper. Now, if it was going overseas, it would have been in a more padded container/box.

What will be interesting, is the state of the reel when i recieve it. Bear in mind that it was without fault when I mailed it. If it is terribly bent, the question will be, how bent?

The reason why that applies, is this ...

if it is bent beyond a certain point, there is no way it could have been delivered thusly, as it was so tightly packed. So, if the person wishes to over-emphasize the bend, the person would reveal that they were "padding" they're claim and it would be false. the buyer said that the reel was un-useable.

I have had an occasional 1200ft reel with a bend inward, which is easily correctable, but this wasn't the case with this reel.

So, if the reel is "over-bent" it will be obvious that the buyer is attempting to defraud.

I must say, however, that if the buyer, (I do not know the person personally in any way) has not in any way done anything to the reel apart from what they recieved, it should be fairly obvious.

Still these ELMO 1200ft metal reels are not impossible to screw up or bend, but they are rather tough reels, so it must have been major abuse by the postal service for it to have been unusable.

We'll see.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 06:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Anyone in the UK in a comparable situation can do this in relation to the Royal Mail'.

NOPE! A bit ago I sent an expensive item insured and recorded and the buyer said it never landed. I tried to claim from Royal Mail and all I got back was a letter from them saying they assumed the parcel was delivered as the chap had not responded to them so would not pay up. Excellent service from Royal Fail yet again...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 09:13 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee - I once had a gruelling and unsuccessful dispute with the Royal Mail so I know they will wriggle out of paying in some circumstances, but I'd still encourage anyone to claim if they can. I got my money back on an undelivered item a while back and I'm just about to claim for another that should be a clear cut case as even the RM's tracking says it's awaiting delivery (2 months later). But in Osi's case I meant a claim in relation to damage as there should be clear evidence of this once the package has been returned.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 11:11 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys this is what happened to me.

I listed a film with clearly stated "Film is fading"

The winner return that film by saying "I cannot take it because the film is fading" !!!

He asked for a refund, which I said OK but minus shipping because I paid the Canada Post for the shipping cost. I did not enjoy that money. He insisted to get a full refund incl shipping.

He went to the resolution centre, and whatever I explained, I knew Ebay would give a favor to buyer.

And yes Ebay took my money and gave a full refund to the buyer.

I ended up with a cost of shipping.

Can you guys imagine if I am sending a $10 item to Timbuktu and cost $70 for shipping making total cost $80. And seller say I would return the item because it does not suit to me which he does. I would have to give the buyer a full refund $80!. I will loose $70 for this $10 item. You guys see...

This is the reason many buyers now are avoiding international sale.

In my case, Ebay did not even return the final selling fee and the final value on shipping fee.

So I lost three battle here: shipping cost, final selling fee and the final value on shipping fee.

I wanted someone doing a "class action" suit to Ebay.

ps: can you guys also see if someone is going to wear a certain jacket for his/her prompt party and bought from Ebay. A day after the party he/she returns the jacket saying it is not he/she meant. So he/she pays for a return shipping which he/she can consider it as a rent fee. But the seller suffers from paying one way shipping cost and must take the item back. Is this justice for all?

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2013 12:22 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think eBay acts like the expenses of these problems are simply the cost of doing business. You know, if it were a full-time thing, and we were good at it with a decent profit margin, perhaps that would be acceptable. However, for the hobbyist this is not only unacceptable, it is destructive to the hobby.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 04:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the way Winbert has been treated by ebay and that
person he sold his goods to, is terrible.How can this situation exist?
All an unscrupulous buyer has to do it seems is make a song & dance, and all his wishes come true, at the cost of the poor soul selling it.Is there no way that these people can be named and
shamed, as this reflects on everyone. There is a word for it outside
of ebay, they call it theft.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 07:44 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oz

Problem solved. I will buy it from you. I love challenges!

PatD

Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 08:15 AM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my 2-cents is that it is the postal services issue because they damaged the item in transit while in their posession. They should be liable not you! I have received items completely obliterated by Canada Post and USPS and have always been able to claim insurance from them....once I shipped a rifle stock which the buyer receive broken in half lol.....if the buyer of your item didn't pay for, or want, shipping insurance then he should eat the cost.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 31, 2013 09:26 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think in the case of USPS, not all services are automatically insured. With Canada Post every service includes insurance up to $100. The same case with Royal Mail too, up to GBP 46.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC