8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ELMO Question (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: ELMO Question
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2013 10:53 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the significant difference between GS and ST models? Never really understood what the 'G' and 'S' stood for before each model #. I get that Elmos are pretty much the definitive units to own, but I must admit, it seems there's as many Cons as there are Pros for either.

|  IP: Logged

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 12:27 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

I never knew what GS or ST meant, ST perhaps is stereo_____?

I do know that Elmo is actually an acronym for: Electricity Light Machine Organization.

Check out their Wikipedia page, if you can navigate through the Japanese site maybe the answer is there...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmo_(company)

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 01:27 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the ST has a dual track on it it is not a stereo machine

The ST1200 - has 150w lamp and is generally magnetic sound only (some rare models have both magnetic and optical). BUT most important is not stereo.

The GS1200 - has 200w lamp and are all magnetic and optical sound, and are all Stereo, plus they have a lot of other differences such as 4 motors to ensure a more even and steady projection. The GS has far superior recording capabilities - not always the biggest of importance these days, but I have been picking up a number of foreign films the re-record the sound in English..It also has a built in pulse sync..

Both ST's and GS's have smaller reel size models, that are less desirable because they have smaller lamps and less capabilities.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 02:53 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first ST1200 was both mag/opt bought about 76 or 77. The twin track version was mono if using the internal amp, but using the line out it could reproduce stereo.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 03:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GS =
Good Sound

Just an idea.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 04:41 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, out of the box, the GS800 and GS1200 were stereo machines.

The ST600, ST800 and ST1200 were mono or twin-track, but could only produce mono sound (albeit a mix of both tracks).

As has been pointed out, the ST1200 for example can produce excellent stereo sound using an external amp, but the GS range were sold as the stereo-ready range.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 05:58 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ST 600M (and its "metric" version, the ST180M),which is the two track magnetic version, also contains the IC and switching needed for the Magnetic/Optical version.
I successfully converted mine some years back to PLAY stereo movies via extra sockets connected to an external amplifier. It is also still able to play and record two track Mono... but cannot record Stereo.
However.... it is not a job for the faint-hearted, or for the amateur meddler. I had over 40 years of professional experience as a Audio and Visual Service engineer down to component level to draw on. One wrong move and the damage to a fine machine could have been irreversible!.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 06:07 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say the most signifigent difference is about 800.00!

[ February 08, 2013, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 06:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob on Pat! [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 07:29 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
GS =
Good Sound

..... And ST for STrong machine? [Confused] [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 08:31 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've read in another post, GS=Grinding Sound

ST is probably Still Ticking

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 09:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even funnier Vidar! They are the business however when running well has to be said.

Single drive motor on the ST is a bonus perhaps these days Brad.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 09:42 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope to get one of those GS's too someday ... How much different is the price of the Xenon model?

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 10:46 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely hope to get up enough spare $ some day to eventually invest in one, but the thought of spending several hundereds (perhaps $1,000) on a machine that would be minimum 40 years old is too much for me to wrap my brain around. Not to mention if it breaks down...Then what?! Into the bin it goes:(

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 01:27 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody been able to add optical sound to the ST magnetic sound series? I have an ST 1200 HD and would love to have optical sound. The GS1200 is a lovely machine, but it is really over priced, you don't get that much for a lot more of money, and it seems prices are going up.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2013 02:44 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julian, fact is the GS 1200 has some features that only appeal to the "engaged" filmmaker ebthusiast (primarily): just think of the possibility to be crystal synced which opens up a wealth of possibility in terms of both post production and sound design.

For this reason the machine might give the impression of being a little over engineered with its 4 motors and stuff but at a closer look these are technical solutions meant to ensure the best performance it was designed for can actually be achieved. Right if one simply screens feature films every now and then, most pluses of this Elmo will appear somewhat useless and just prone to have the projector suffer from major breakdowns. Anyway a well cared for machine, used with sensibility, and with the proper upgrades discussed here so many times, will give you years of trouble-free operation. It's just you can't expect to get a GS 1200 right out of the box and have it perform flawlessly since the very first time, even if it had never been used before. In fact, due to its electronics, decades of non-usage are the worst condition for this machine: it has to be used, it has to be appreciated, it has to be... loved.

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 05:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh now I understand why my GS 1200 keeps breaking down, Maurizio.
Not enough love!
Tonight I shall sleep with my GS cradled alongside me! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 05:45 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

If you do that just be very careful of rewind! [Wink]

PatD

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 06:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to burst any bubbles here, but when I pay a lot of
money for a machine like the GS1200, i expect it to perform
flawlessly, no excuses.Projectors that were made in the 50's
still show film, no problems, no scratching, no replacing of parts
every time one expects a film show.I have a little Eumig p8 that
will still be capable of showing film, when the overblown GS's
have long since given up.An over rated piece of equipment that
isn't really that good at what it is made to do.The ST's are far
more reliable, and give better opt. snd. GS could mean Goodat
Scratching.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2013 07:00 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again: with proper care and upgrades a GS 1200 won't scratch a single inch of film. True it is Elmo could've used better plastics for the film guides or studied a way to avoid the chance of scratches, but it can be definitely fixed. And for good. More to it; it's not possible to compare a projector from the 40's-50's to the GS 1200: electronics may fail but as I stated, unused electronics will be in worse conditions after all these years as opposed to a machine that is mechanics only. An Elmo GS 1200 costs a lot and has to, if it's been checked and overhauled/refurbished by people who know how to do it. A machine that has been sitting in a closet for decades is worth about half what is worth a well mantained machine, if at all. As for "love" of course it was a figure of speech.

--------------------
Maurizio

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 08:23 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio, with all respect, a projector made for much less, has
had more film through it than TWO GS's I have owned, and hasn't
been a bit of trouble,neither has it marked any film, the old
Eumig S709.Maybe the Austrians know something the Japanese
don't, longevity.Also, you don't know your GS has marked the
film until it's viewed again, by that time, how many films are damaged,not all wear is visible and however meticulous you clean
it, the machine will still damage, there are at least two points below the gate where this can happen.It's general design is
inferior to the ST1200 that even with the tracks is still more reliable.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 08, 2013 09:15 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,

I have to disagree. I've had terrible scratches caused by an ST, and I've had three Eumig's that gave up the ghost. I feel safer running my prints through my GS more than any other projector, with the Bauer 610 coming in a close second.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 09, 2013 12:00 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the GS1200 once you have got it up to scratch, wait, thats dosen't sound right [Roll Eyes] with all the known mods etc it should be ok. The GS1200 for all its failings is still a good projector to own, as with so much of this stuff, its really 70s technology and much depends how its been looked after over the last thirty plus years.

Graham

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2013 02:09 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my GS 1200 from Ian at Perry's in 1997 and I have never had any problems with it, I have had the recording capacitors upgraded and before I bought it, it had had the film path upgraded the Wilton/Locke way, so it has never scratched any of my films.

As Maurizio says, if it has the few, known upgrades done, is a good amchine to start with and is used sensibly, it shouldn't give you any problems.

If all else fails, get a Sankyo Stereo 800, a far superior projector in my view [Wink] .

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 09, 2013 04:17 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Time will tell guys, no other projector on this forum commands the amount of space with problems associated with this machine.
Indeed it must be neck and neck with the Star Wars themes.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC