8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Does Germany have the entire supply of Super8 films?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Germany have the entire supply of Super8 films?
Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 09:23 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just browsing ebay in Germany
http://www.ebay.de/sch/Zelluloid-/63821/i.html?_sop=16&_from=R40&_nkw=super+8+film&rt=nc

Germany seems to have ten times the amount of Super8 features and digests for sale than any other country's ebay.

Is there any reason or do Germans just love their film?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2013 02:01 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pete,

yes, at the moment are a lot of full features for sale in Ebay Germany, but I think this is just at the moment. During the last months were nearly no interesting features for sale there.

Many of the digest-sales are in there for weeks or months, because some prices are too high for the items (my opinion).

The Super 8-activity in Germany is not higher than in other countries, f.e. Italy, UK or USA.

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2013 05:06 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find that I have much more luck finding good titles when browsing either the Italian or German eBay, rather than the US or UK. But I agree with Michael, the prices in Italy and Germany seems to be much higher, especially on single reels and such.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2013 06:26 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is frustrating is being in Australia, very few prints ever come up, and sellers in Germany often won't sell to here.
Makes it difficult and expensive!

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2013 06:42 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete,
I think the shipping costs from Germany to Australia are too high. And I don't know, what toll-documents a seller needs to ship to Australia. This can be a barrier, too.
So it is easier to ship only in Europe or only in Germany.

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Alex Goedert
Junior

- posted February 08, 2013 08:24 AM      Profile for Alex Goedert   Email Alex Goedert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, i know the problem about sellers not willing to sell or ship abroad: as i'm living in Luxembourg, it only takes you 40 kilometers either direction to find yourself in a foreign country!
That's why i registered several "fake adresses" which are actually packing stations in the respective countries where i have them send my parcels. From there, they are forwarded to my home adress. The only hassle remaining is customs concerning US parcels...

Alex

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 09:10 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought many from Belgium (highest quality), no trouble at all - Hope to continue some overseas purchases - Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 08, 2013 09:26 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I do about it is have a "Tante" and "Onkle" who live near Heidelberg, but I guess that's not an option for everybody!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 10:10 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is frustrating is being in Australia, very few prints ever come up, and sellers in Germany often won't sell to here.
Ebay that makes everything difficult.

If a seller agrees to send to Australia (say the shipping cost would be $40), when you receive the item and say the film is not like as describe (for whatever is the reason), you send the item back to the seller (mandatory).

Once the seller receive the film back, he has to refund full amount that include shipping cost to you (mandatory).

So the seller does not get anything here, but instead loss money ($40) because of shipping. You see how pain is that selling overseas.

--------------------
Winbert

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2013 03:28 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone really decide to return a film?

There is a Star Wars Super8 print on ebay now, but no way for me to bid on it. I do wish they would just list them here for sale [Smile]
Though I always seem to slow anyway.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2013 04:03 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find that many sellers are happy to mail to Australia if you send them a message.
From my direction, i'm happy to mail anywhere (even Italy - where the post seems to grind to a snail's pace when it lands on their shores).

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 08, 2013 09:57 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone really decide to return a film?
Pete, if that is the only film you have, most probably not.

But if the buyer is buying because trying to replace his current print, then 80% buyer wishes to return if finding it is the same fade with his current.

A stupid buyer just returned my film for the sake of fading which I described clearly as "the film is fading".

Ebay agents did not understand this term and kept insisting me to give a full refund. Since paypal is also an Ebay subsidiary, Ebay held my fund.

I don't know what is this seen from fair trading, but Ebay has always succeded to do this.

So beware with a buyer who is buying because of the reason of finding a better print.

ps: and you know what... Ebay even will not refund the final value fee and the final value fee on shipping which seller has shared with Ebay, although the seller gives a full refund.

Saying you sold a $1000 item and send via the most secure shipping available which cost you $100 and you are an honest seller which did not mark up anything on shipping. Ebay took 9% out of $1000 (say $90) + 10% out of $100 (say $10).

Then when a buyer return the item, you will loose $100 for the shiping plus another $100 for those fees.

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 09, 2013 06:08 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Winbert that the way some buyers treat the seller is
atrocious, those examples in a different thread with yourself
and Osi highlight this. So far I have been fortunate in having
dealt with reputable people on ebay.Although there is also the
other side of the coin where an advertiser sells a print and makes
no mention that it is a poor copy.It pays to make the relevant enquiries before the sale ends, but in your latest case of having to
pay all costs through someone "trying it on" is not acceptable.

Oscar Iniesta
Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2013 09:16 AM      Profile for Oscar Iniesta   Email Oscar Iniesta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that many german sellers doesn´t offer Paypal, just bank transfers. I hate bank transfers, and it usually tooks 2-3 days. But the problem is that I found many sellers who doesn´t want to sell abroad. I found it stupid in Europe. We don´t have customs, and shipping is paid by buyers. What do you prefer, a national market or a european one? I prefer a worldwide market for my auctions. But the european one is better as it becomes as easy as the national. Couriers works fine at 99.9%. I used to buy german articles and receive them at a cheap price and one to two weeks delivering time. From U.K. an envelope use to be at my door in just a few days. But many U.K. sellers doesn´t sell abroad too.
About our hobby articles, I have learned that there are nothing in the USA compared with Europe. Maybe the earlier launch of video in the states would be the reason?
The market I would like to have is the japanish one, but I don´t have any idea how to search there due to the language.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2013 02:48 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother lives in Japan, if there are any titles you want I can have him look for them.

To get you started, simply search for 8ミリ映画 in any japanese sites, it equates to 8mm Movie, which is what they tend to refer to Super8 films as.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC