8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What make collecting films on film special? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What make collecting films on film special?
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 22, 2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the joy of film collecting has many components. First, the film itself, just a reel of celluloid, containing thousands of tiny still pictures, but those reels of film also hold forever the masterful performances of the great artists of the past 100 years of cinema. That wonderful machine, the film projector, brings these performances to life through a very simple mechanism, which is no different really than that invented by Edison or Lumiere. So running film really keeps you in touch with the original medium of motion pictures. Something that the digital disc is far removed from.
And then we have all the interest of running and maintaining our beautiful projectors (was a more perfect machine ever invented?), the cleaning and storing of our precious films, and of course enjoying them on a big screen in a comfortable and friendly home theater.
Plus, the film conventions, books and magazines on film, the film forums, and all the friends we make as a result.
Just a wonderful hobby.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2013 04:44 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like most feel the same way about film. I started looking at my old issues of film magazines last year, even buying some of the older issues. The last ones were ACW from 1958 the year when I first got interested in films, I was 55 this year.

Although I had quite a few films when "Star Wars" 200ft came out. That was a fantastic release. I showed it at work one dinner time, my work mates were "WOW"

I still get a "WOW" now watching it and the all rest of my films.

Splicing the films together, and making up 'full supporting programme'

Although kicking myself after looking at "Home Movie Magazine" Movieland had ad in for "Hollywood And The Stars" "Monsters 2x400ft and I missed it. [Frown] Only got 400ft version.

Its still got that special magic of film on film whatever the gauge.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 23, 2013 01:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino id absolutely right. For me, it is an "organic" connection with the past film-goers.

I'll make it quick, (as I've said this before in "long form") ...

When I watch the Laurel and Hardy short, "Big Business" restored on DVD on a projection TV, sure it looks nice, but it really feels "distant" to me ...

However, when I project a super 8 print of this, film grain, occasional scratched and all, I really feel like I'm back in that movie theater, in 1929 along with an audience, and I am drawn in.

That's the allure of film to me! That lovely, romantic connection!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2013 04:02 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think I've said before digital feels too clinical. I feel that even with the so called imperfections I would watch a film.

The best quality on film I have seen is in London, "Octopussy" at the Qdeon Marble Arch was very good. "The Empire Strikes Back" also in London was really good.

I saw "Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom" in Scottsdale AZ this was also excellent presentation. But the best was Aliens I saw this in Costa Masa, massive screen rear sound wonder if this was 70mm? When the creature in the specimen jar jumped to the glass I'll swear everyone's popcorn also jumped.

Going to my local cinema to see a video soon they have "The Adventures Of Robin Hood" it changed to digital about 6 months ago.

Film Forever though.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC