8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » need troubleshooting help for a B&H 466ZB

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need troubleshooting help for a B&H 466ZB
Leo Rizzo
Junior

- posted March 02, 2013 02:16 PM      Profile for Leo Rizzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it purchased this on craigslist and it's got some issues and the seller is unresponsive, so I'm going to assume I'm stuck with this unit. It may just be a Belt issue, but I think it may be more than that. Here's a list of some of the behavior.

1. sometimes I'll put the lever in fwd or reverse mode and it does nothing.

2. In fwd mode even with the speed control all the way up it is not running full speed

3. when I put it into slow motion mode it comes to a complete stop.

4. the pickup arm is easily stopped by finger, the very last gear that's connected to the reel mount doesn't appear to be making good contact with the connecting wheel. There is a white gear which lays on the black gear which turns the reel, but the white gear can spin without it turning the black gear.

5. The belt looks like it has slack, but it does turn the wheels, and does not appear to be slipping at all.

here's a video of what's going on on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3aHL8eOuJA

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me that top belt looks too loose. It looks like there is some kind of tensioner there. Maybe you can adjust it and take up some of the slack.

It may be OK that you can stop the spindle with your finger. That part has a complicated job to do. It's turned by a constant speed drive, but depending on how much film is on the reel it needs to spin faster or slower. They do this by putting a clutch between the drive and the spindle.

I just tried this experiment with my ST-1200HD. This is a pretty beefy machine, but I could still stop the spindle with my finger.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Leo Rizzo
Junior

- posted March 02, 2013 05:23 PM      Profile for Leo Rizzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there a way to adjust the tension? I can't find any service manuals that show how to do this.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2013 05:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see it very well, but it looks like springs over screws. Is there a place to turn the screws?

--------------------

Leo Rizzo
Junior

- posted March 02, 2013 06:21 PM      Profile for Leo Rizzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see this, but I don't get how it can be adjusted, it's not a screw, it's a rivet. I don't see anything else that's a spring over a screw or rod, but when I put the projector in Rev mode the wheels don't touch and it doesn't rewind, and it does appear that a tighter belt would bring the wheel to touch the other and spin in rev mode.

here's another video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehaGRH00S2k

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2013 07:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you need new belts. Sometimes people put "close enough" in only to find out "close enough" isn't as close as they hoped!

This seller is very good. I get all my belts from him:

ISellProjectorBelts on Ebay

Maybe if you contact him and describe what you need he can help you out.

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2013 08:38 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it looks like your unit has a speed dial try turning that and see if the belt tightens up any if its turned to the slow mode the pulleys open up to loosen slack and tighten to go faster.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Leo Rizzo
Junior

- posted March 03, 2013 07:02 AM      Profile for Leo Rizzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the speed is all the way up and it's still running a little slow. The belt will get looser and tighter as I turn the speed adjustment, and the unit will slow down and speed up, but at full speed it's not running at normal speed. I would think all the way up would run faster than normal.

Leo Rizzo
Junior

- posted March 04, 2013 08:13 AM      Profile for Leo Rizzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anybody else have any suggestions?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 04, 2013 09:04 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Leo

There are 2 black screws to the right of the pulley. The bottom one has a slotted hole. Loosen it and adjust the wheel to tighten the pressure on the tire.

PatD

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2013 10:55 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are 2 black screws to the right of the pulley. The bottom one has a slotted hole. Loosen it and adjust the wheel to tighten the pressure on the tire.

It may not be that simple - the 466, in fact the entire 400 Bell & Howell line, suffers from slow-downs and stoppages more often than not. It's a nice projector when working properly but the problem Leo's is having could be a result of:

a. A defective drive belt
b. A worn rim drive roller
c. Drive rollers not adjusted properly, and
d. A defective reel spindle.

Or, a combination of two or more issues of those mentioned above. The speed control situation could be something as simple as a belt out-of-position.

The slow motion problem is, most likely, due to the slow motion roller needing adjustment. It would be nice to have a tachometer wheel when repairing these things as the proper speed needs to be adjusted to a range from 870 to 910 rpm.

It's difficult to troubleshoot these machines without having them in front of you.

Jon

Leo Rizzo
Junior

- posted March 10, 2013 07:59 PM      Profile for Leo Rizzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I just installed a new belt and it seems to be a big help, but now my rollers are in need of alignment. I need help doing this, can't seem to find the happy balance between fwd and rev, when I get fwd working great, it won't do anything in Rev, and vice versa. Also the slo-mo lever brings it to a stop most of the time.

Help!! I feel like I'm so close to having this machine working properly.

Leo Rizzo
Junior

- posted March 12, 2013 07:31 AM      Profile for Leo Rizzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump!

ANYONE???

Leo Rizzo
Junior

- posted March 13, 2013 09:32 AM      Profile for Leo Rizzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why so many people are having their technical questions answered so quickly, and I can't get any help with my issue, I've decided to trash this projector.
if anybody wants this projector, it's sitting outside on the street. 228 rider ave, malverne ny.

Since for whatever reason nobody can or will help me figure this out

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 13, 2013 01:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leo,

Unfortunately for you, your problem projector is one that a lot of us have never seen, so most of us can't do better than guess.

There are a few very common makes of projectors that become easy pickings in this crowd because most of us have had several of them and the chances are pretty decent that when somebody comes in with a "new" problem, it turns out to be an old one to several people here.

There's a couple of cases like (for example) "My Elmo has no sound" and "Work all the sound switches ten times." should be made a sticky up at the top they are so common!

Unfortunately yours was a genuinely unique case and fixing an unknown movie projector with discussion forum posts can be like fixing a watch thorough a keyhole.

--------------------

Leo Rizzo
Junior

- posted March 13, 2013 02:06 PM      Profile for Leo Rizzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
doesn't matter now, somebody already grabbed it off the sidewalk.
I didn't realize a B&H projector was so rare???

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 13, 2013 02:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I'm calling it about one chance in four we'll have a new member from Malverne within a few days with the exact same problem!

As Yogi Bera would say: "Deja-vu all over again!"

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC