8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Video Transfer Settings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Video Transfer Settings
David Huthmacher
Junior

- posted March 07, 2013 08:13 AM      Profile for David Huthmacher   Email David Huthmacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am ready to transfer my family's old 8mm films. I have a variable speed projector and a Canon camcorder with manual settings.

Will I get better focus capturing a projected image or use the transfer (mirror) box I've acquired?

Show I use manual white balance, focus, etc. or the automatic settings?

Should I use 24p fps, 30p fps, or 60i fps?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2013 08:52 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

if possible use manual focus and manual white balance (as the projector's flicker might irritate the auto-focus and auto-white-balance).

When the films have been shot at 24fps, I would suggest using 24p for the video as well. But beware: Many video-cameras claim to shoot at 24fps, but in fact shoot at 23.976fps or are shooting at an NTSC-frame-rate using a 3:2-pulldown to simulate 24fps. The 23.976fps shouldn't be a problem as you do have a variable speed projector. However the 3:2-pulldown might cause strange results.
When the films have been shot at 16 or 18fps, I would suggest setting the projector to 15fps (or 14.985fps) and shooting at 30p (which is in fact most likely 29.97p). (Most video-editing-software allow to adjust the speed later on if the transfer looks to slow.)

Depending on the video-camera, projector, ... you might get better results projecting onto a white or light-grey sheet of paper than using one of the transfer-boxes.

When your projector has got more than one lamp-setting, you might also want to try them all. E.g. my Bauer T610 and TR300 both have two settings: "Maximum" and "Energy saving". When using my cheap "Medion"-camcorder, I get better results at "Maximum" (better = less visible flicker). But when using my iPhone, I get better results at "Energy saving" (better = less visible hotspots and images that don't look over-exposed).

Good luck,
Jörg

David Huthmacher
Junior

- posted March 08, 2013 12:48 PM      Profile for David Huthmacher   Email David Huthmacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC