8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 501 vs Stereo 800

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 501 vs Stereo 800
Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2013 06:19 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Sankyo Stereo 800 that needs repairs, but I can buy a fully serviced Sankyo 501 for around $350.

Does anyone know how the 501 compares to the Stereo-800?

Mostly interested in sound quality and stability of the image.

Thanks

-Pete

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 25, 2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the 501 take only 600ft reels?

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2013 06:50 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but that isn't really a consideration for me, I have to transfer my 1200ft ones to 600s anyway.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 26, 2013 06:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the Sankyo models are very much the same, except for their individual specifications.

The 800 is top of the range, an excellent machine which has a 150 watt lamp with a two-position light level setting. It has a powerful amplifier and is, of course, stereo.

The mono 501 with its less spec has a 100 watt lamp and a less powerful amplifier.

You didn't say whether the dollar sign represented Australian dollars or US dollars.

If it is Australian dollars it equates to US$367, or more familiar to me, UK£241. But any way you look at it, the projector to my mind seems over priced, unless it's in first-class condition and complete with box and all original accessories and instruction book.

However, I have no hesitation in recommending a Sankyo projector of which I have five: 301,600,700,702,800.

--------------------
Maurice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2013 10:58 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it would be AUD$350.

It is from a dealer who refurbishes the machines fully and is well respected over here, so I would have confidence that the machine would be in great condition.

Thanks for the info, I am mainly looking for a stable image and good sound to feed to a computer or separate amplifier.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 26, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Maurice. I wouldn't pay that much for a 501, no matter how good a condition...unless it happened to be fitted with the Hi Pro Zoom lens.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2013 10:46 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you reckon would be a reasonable price? Projectors do seem to go for more money over here.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 05:22 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, I bought a Sankyo Sound 501 brand new in 1979 and was always disappointed with the sound quality (only 3.5w from memory). The focus mechanism drifts as well.

It is a MUCH lower quality machine than the 800.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 06:02 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is great info David, I'll get the 800 repaired instead then.

Thanks everyone for the info.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2013 12:41 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, if you know someone that can repair the 800, that would be a good idea. I like Sankyo's and had a 702 once also, but jumping up to the Elmo ST1200 and Eumig was worth it.

I thought our Sankyo camera was OK too............and it was, but then I used a Canon 814 XLS and the results were so much better!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC