8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Filmguard first time user question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Filmguard first time user question
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 07:06 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I have just got my first lot of Filmguard and want to make sure I am using it correctly.
I have the soft-cloth dampened with a single-pump and then run the film through the gripped cloth,how much pressure do I use, I have been holding it lightly and the film does look cleaner but I haven't really noticed a reduction in lines etc.Should I apply more pressure to the grip to clean it more?
And I presume that one run with the Filmguard will do the job?
Thanks all [Smile] Clinton

P.S. Yes I posted this in both forums [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 10:00 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the best results, it's good to use a Kelmar/Christie film cleaner or something of that nature. Now of course depending on what gauge you are using those may not be an option at the moment. Those cleaners were designed to use 35mm/70mm gauges, however you can modify those to fit 8mm/16mm gauges as well. I believe awhile back, before I was on this forum, somebody made a cleaner specifically for 8mm.

If you just want to use the cloth that is fine too. You need to apply enough pressure so that the FilmGuard is actually getting on the print, in other words, the print should look slightly wet. On the other hand you don't want to apply so much pressure that you are putting physical stress on the film, as that can damage it.

Even after one pass, the scratches may still be visible. It is very possible that you have to make several passes before they get filled in. Keep in mind it will take longer using a cloth than using one of the cleaner machines I mentioned earlier. As an example I had to run a print 3-4 times through my Kelmar cleaner before the scratches filled in completely. The print did look cleaner after one pass but a lot of the scratches were still there. This was a pretty bad print though.

In reality you really can't go too overboard with FilmGuard anyways. Though there will be a certain point that you apply so much to the cloth or cleaning machine, etc. that it gets almost wasted because it's not all going to the print.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 27, 2013 11:12 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton,

Since double posting the same question isn't allowed, I've removed your other post. As Matt said, you are applying FilmGuard correctly, but I should point out the removal of lines and scratches is done by wet gate projection using a film-o-clean or Kelmar unit with pads wetting the film right before it goes through the gate. The hand wipe method is great for cleaning and lubricating and it does fill in some scratches, but real wet gate projection is the only way to remove lines while screening.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 12:07 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both Clint and Matt for raising the question and providing an elaborate response to it respectively [Smile] ... Also, I had no idea it was forbidden to post the same question which I might have done before [Eek!] ... Sorry about that, Doug, and thanks to you as well for more input on the post [Smile] !!!

Best,
ET

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 04:08 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the replies,I thought I was doing it right but this will help me "fine-tune" the method [Smile]

p.S. Sorry about the double listing - lesson noted [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 28, 2013 12:58 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No troubles with the doubles.....just that I'd rather have all the responses in one place so folks don't have to go searching for which post had that helpful answer.

Doug

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2013 04:18 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas can you ever get rid of the green or blue lines? And why do you sometimes get them after you clean a film with FilmGuard ? Because it is to strong a cleaner ?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2013 04:34 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So would Filmguard or Filmrenew be the better wet-gate solution via a film-o-clean?
I'm still hopeful of obtaining a film-o-clean unit and would like to use the product that gives the best wet-gate performance.

(Unfortunately the distributer for Filmguard has gone belly-up in Australia, so it will be costly to import)

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2013 03:06 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ROY good answer. How do I get the dirt back? Will the scratch fill up again later if I don't clean it? Or do they make stuff to fill in scratches for emulsion. I have had movies that I used FilmGuard on that cleaned the scratched line off. But like you say the emulsion was a deep scratched and the dirt was hiding the colored line was then revealed. Now I am afraid to clean my films . I had a film that was beautiful when I bought it and then after one cleaning the oolored emulsion lines came up.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2013 07:16 PM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, don't feel afraid to clean you films with FilmGuard. Actually if you run the movie through several passes through it, especially right before hand, ie with a cleaner to get the wet gate feel, it will start to fill in the emulsion scratches as well. Now of course if the scratch is very deep it still won't hide it completely but still make it look better than if none was applied.

If you want the dirt to come back, just stop using FilmGuard or FilmRenew or other cleaning products, they will eventually evaporate off of the film. I am not sure how long, I know FilmGuard lasts for quite awhile but I never did any experiments on how long it will stay on before it evaporates, mainly because I routinely clean them with it and use it every time I run a print. That would be a question for Brad. After this point has happened, just let the film sit out in room out of its container and dust will start to build up on the film again. Keep in mind though you could be taking a huge risk in actually damaging the film further.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 07, 2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi,

Your new member pic looks very cool!

I have never come across a cleaner or lubricant that causes emulsion scratches. I guess if you were holding the wipe very tightly while cleaning and a piece of dirt got caught it would scratch your film, however my first thought was that the scratch occurred when you last ran the print through your projector. Is this possible?

Doug

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2013 07:08 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No none of my other prints are showing scratches after film cleaning? I was thinking that Doug but it has to be the cleaning. My GOLDFINGER FILM I just bought from Pat was clean except for at the end titles . And I showed it over and over then my new Captain America I showed over and over and still no scratches. Then the films with scratches have scratches in different places not in the same places. One film has lines at the front of the reel then stops at a splice? I am afraid to clean other films now. I usually clean after a showing or so. I think Matt is right and it has to be the dirt hides in the print answer. And cleaning brings it out. I think I will try this wet gate idea. Or do you think FILMRENEW will be good for the wetgate treatment or FilmGuard? So do you all think I should clean the scratches again or leave the film and live with the scratch? Oh anyway I did notice after leaving the film for a while the cleaner evaporates off and the emulsion scratches are less visible.

--------------------

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2013 11:05 PM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug is right about the cleaner not scratching the film. If you are only using cloth and hand pressure method, it is possible that a piece of dirt or whatever got caught in the rag without you knowing it and end result = scratch. As far as doing a "wet" gate method, you would have to have a cleaner, such as a Kelmar, it would have to be modified to allow 8mm film, but only the rollers, the cleaning pads can stay as 35mm sizes, or buy one from, I believe it is Roy Neil on here who use to make them specifically for 8mm.

The other option for this "wet" gate, though it won't be the most optimal, is to apply your cleaner using the rag method right before you show the film. I personally would continue to clean your prints and when you know you are going to show one, just mentally prepare to clean it in advance unless you get one of this cleaners. As far as using FilmRenew vs. FilmGuard, that is totally up to you. The big difference is that FilmRenew is just a lubricant where FilmGuard is both a lubricant and cleaner. This is why I'd pick FilmGuard myself as it cleans as lubes. I hope this helps.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 08, 2013 11:36 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think what is happening here is that the scratches have
been there before Laksmi applied his cleaner. The marks he describes are emulsion scratches that are now more visible, this
is because of the cleaner highlighting the mark, if the mark had
been on the base side, no doubt it's "refractive index" would
have been changed and rendered the image of it invisible on
projection, the reverse happens when it is the film emulsion that
has been damaged, and so makes it more visible when shown.
I've no doubt that Laksmi when cleaning his prints will discover
more of them marked.To prove this, simply apply the fluid to
a "new" print, which won't have any scratches at all.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2013 04:11 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I LOVE FilmGuard! I applied the cleaner to a Ten Commandments new print I had and there was nothing but clean film. I had the Marketing 3X 400 print for 30 years with one of the reels still in plastic sealed wrap. It was perfect.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC