8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Subtitles for Ken Films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Subtitles for Ken Films
Hal Dickens
Junior

- posted April 22, 2013 08:28 PM      Profile for Hal Dickens   Email Hal Dickens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8mm silent "I Was A Teenage Frankenstein" from Ken Films has two weird subtitle misspellings. "Experiment" is spelled "expirement" and "gorilla" is spelled "guerilla". Do you think that was deliberate or do you think the subtitler had a drinking problem?

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 22, 2013 09:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hal,

I'll have to look at that one again. Ken made the same "guerilla" mistake in Mighty Joe Young. They carried on this tradition in their sound cutdowns with narration that referred to characters by the wrong name (The Crimson Cult), or using the actor's actual name as opposed to the part they're playing (The Tall Men and again The Crimson Cult).

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 23, 2013 03:27 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
They also made errors like giving out wrong info "The Raven was the secret of Dr Cravens' magic" in AIPs "The Raven" or telling
the viewer the action before it happens as in "War Gods of the Deep" at the films climax..Note also the spelling in "Jason" with
Colchis to "Kulkes" &"Kulkis", even referring to the High Priestess
Medea as some sort of Goddess! It certainly makes you wonder
what age group Columbia & Ken intended these films for.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 23, 2013 06:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re recorded many of mine because of the bonkers voice overs [Roll Eyes] and done many for other collectors as well.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2013 07:31 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be worse! I've seen Norwegian subtitles that would make your eyes bleed, truly horrible. They actually translated the Star Wars character names in the 1997 DVDs *shrug*.

"Luke Skywalker" became "Lukas Himmelvandrer" (literal translation) for instance. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 23, 2013 08:27 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's understandable for a country to try to translate into their
own language Chris, but for English speaking countries it's
unforgivable.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 23, 2013 08:35 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Translating a name is very strange. We cannot literally translate Rod Stewart although "rod" does have a meaning in English.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted April 23, 2013 09:10 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rod Stewart? Stav StuingKunst in norwegian probably

Rod is a staff become Stav. Stew is a dish called Stuing and art is kunst ... I think I'll apply for a job at the translation studio :-)

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2013 09:55 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Translating names is nothing compared to what German synchronisation/translation has done to several films, e.g.:
  • Casablanca: All references to the Nazis have been removed, Victor László turned into Victor Larsen, a Norwegian physicist that is wanted for having discovered some "Delta"-rays, Captain Renault became "Monsieur Laporte from Interpol", ... .
  • Die hard: The German terrorists became Irish/... terrorists suddenly having English names (which causes problems in "Die hard 1" as Bruce writes down the original names and in "Die hard 3" as the plot now doesn't make sense any more).
What's even worse: Some films from the USA/UK/... get released in Germany with an English title. However that English title has nothing to do with their original title! E.g. the British movie "THE SWEENEY" (based on the TV-series "THE SWEENEY" which was aired as "Die Füchse"/"The foxes" on German TV) showed up as "THE CRIME" in German cinemas...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC