8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Hannah Queen Of The Vampires (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hannah Queen Of The Vampires
Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 01:36 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me if the Niles prints of Hannah were the PG or R-rated cuts? The R-rated cut shows them decapitating the guy they smoosh under Hannah's tomb in the first reel.

Also, what was Niles quality like on this one?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 09:24 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my prints show no decapitation scene just where the table lands on the guy then it cuts away, the color is better on my digest than the feature. Mine also has no rating at the beginning, it says from atlas films.

[ May 24, 2013, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Jim Schrader ]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 05:20 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy is faded, but luckily there is still some color left. It states PG on the rating logo before the film starts. The guy is crushed, but no decapitation afterwards. This NILES print is sharp but a little grainy. I really like this creepy film, but prefer one of its many other titles, CRYPT OF THE LIVING DEAD

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 09:27 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a personal favorite of mine... yes, creepy with a great exotic atmosphere (Turkish Island), interesting cast (Teresa Gimpera is haunting as the lead), striking music (available on CD). Yes, the Niles print is PG and colors on the print range... but I have never seen an "R" print available with the decapitation scene you mention... even on DVD. Is that version available anywhere? I'd love to see it to compare.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2013 06:07 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best DVD available is from VCI, but still leaves something to be desired in that it's letterboxed rather than anamorphic widesceen.

I've always liked this film for all the reasons you mention. THE CRYPT OF THE LIVING DEAD is the shortest version, it's not only censored but shortened. The only place you can get the R-rated cut is on a Spanish DVD, which has only Spanish audio. It's cheap wherever I see it (something like 4 Euros at Spain's Amazon), but I think it would be a drag to not understand the dialog.

Other than the decapitation, I'm told Mark Damon gets a more lengthy staking, with a second one driven in after the first.

Here is a link to a site with some pics of the R-cut.

http://thelatarniaforums.yuku.com/reply/85376/CRYPT-OF-THE-LIVING-DEAD#reply-85376

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 06:57 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the DVD release by AGplate 0 region English dub, and it has the scene
intact where the supports of the catafalque are knocked away
to decapitate the victim.To be honest, I felt the film lacked
atmosphere and only offered something different at the beginning
and end, making the 400' digest a better option.Patty Sheppard
would have been better used I feel in the role of the vampire queen,much like her Wandesa de Nadasty in "Shadow of the Werewolf".I always thought I had missed out by not purchasing
a print many years ago,but since viewing on DVD, I'm not too
saddened.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2013 03:51 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To each his own I guess. I've read many tepid responses to HANNAH over the years that I always felt were undeserved. It's no BLACK SUNDAY, but IMO is still a pretty solid, atmospheric Euro-horror, with nice photography and creepy score.

I find it more sophisticated that a Paul Naschy Spanish horror of the same vintage.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 19, 2013 10:13 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It does tend to be overlooked Timothy, and the end I felt was
rather violent,in fact I wanted the creature to escape. The best
Paul Naschy films I can think of,would be "The Hanging Woman"
AKA "Beyond the Living Dead", Naschy only has a bit part,but it's
one of his best, and the atmosphere is tangible, an excellent
little film.Another of his,also available on S/8, "The Hunchback of
the Morgue",with the infamous rat burning scenes intact, a very
off the wall movie,but has a certain charm.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 08:59 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one of the things I do like about Hannah, SPOILER ALERT you pity her in the end. Her beauty is reduced to a burnt mess that's hard to look at, and her agonized moans are very effecting. First she gets buried alive for century's then exhumed only to be mutilated and staked within a day.

As if that weren't bleak enough, we find out the kids on the island were contaminated.

I do like some Nascy by the way. ASSIGNMENT TERROR, FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR, and SHADOW OF THE WEREWOLF are my faves.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 09:07 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how can I order the "R" rated version referred to as "AGplate 0 region English dub" I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2013 02:41 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm unable to find it either.

I've heard tell of a "fan version" that pairs a Spanish TV broadcast with the US track. I presumed it would be only "fair" looking, not anamorphic, and a DVD-R. I couldn't find that either.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 21, 2013 03:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can relate gents, is the release I have goes under the title
"Crypt of the Living Dead", runs 82 mins, region 0, English, stereo,
4x3 format, AGPlate. www.agplate.com Cert 18 cat.#EL 0012
Hope this helps.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2013 04:22 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that's the link? It just brings me to an error page.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2013 04:22 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that's the link? It just brings me to an error page.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 21, 2013 04:49 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It takes me to "Targeted Networks" agplate is still mentioned,
but I have no further info on them Brian.Perhaps they've gone
bust.Have you checked out Amazon? I've just had a look, and the
version I have is still available from them.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2013 09:08 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh - Sorry I'm being so high maintenance here... but is this the one you have with just the title and no artwork on the case. I don't want to buy the same one I have without the R rated scenes.

http://www.amazon.com/Crypt-Living-Dead-Andrew-Pine/dp/B000X7S9X0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369187990&sr=8-3&keywords=crypt+of+living+dead+dvd

Amazon has a couple with the title but it's hard to know what's what... thanks for one more reply that should settle this!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 22, 2013 02:15 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's no trouble at all Brian,thats what this forums all about.The link
that you gave there is I presume Amazon .com,which is your side
of the pond, put in Amazon .co.uk, and you'll see the picture sleeve of the same disc,which is being sold new for a few bucks.
If you can't order it direct,let me know and I'll sort it.The one on
Amazon.com is not the version I'm familiar with.

[ May 22, 2013, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2013 07:31 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh - I ordered the PAL DVD off Ebay UK. It says running time is 82 min so it should be the right version. Can't wait to see it!

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2013 12:32 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Please report on what you get.

CRYPT OF THE LIVING DEAD is the title that the even shorter than HANNAH version was given in the US, and is also the PG cut. If you manage to get the R-cut under that name, I'll be really surprised, but ya never know I suppose.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 23, 2013 07:34 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 16mm print titled HANNAH QUEEN OF THE VAMPIRES that used to be in the old Derann 16mm library. I'm sure it doesn't have the decapitation. I have the Niles 400' (sadly the previously lovely colour on this has warmed on mine too) which I note is titled YOUNG HANNAH QUEEN OF THE VAMPIRES, so I wonder if that title is specific to the USA theatrical release?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 23, 2013 06:05 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked on Amazon,and there are three versions of this film,
the longest being the version I mentioned that has them dropping the stone slab over the archaeologists neck. I don't know if this
scene is in the 75 minute versions.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2013 12:29 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, just so I'm clear on this. Are you saying the version you have has this in it? All versions have them dropping the tomb on the guys chest. It's the actual head removal that was cut. These stills are from the Spanish TV broadcast.

-

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 27, 2013 10:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Timothy, the version I have is the one where I thought that was the complete scene, but obviously there is an extended version yet to
be seen. I did a bit of research on this little film following a viewers
comments on Amazon, mentioning that it was mentioned twice
in Phil Hardy's "Horror Reference Guide" and they're correct,it is
under two separate headings. Strangely,the US release was in '72
with running times of 93 & 83 mins, and the Spanish release in
'73 at 99 & 83 mins, which makes me think that these scenes
were put back in for box office in Spain.The 83 minute running
time is obviously the 82 on DVD which is the longest version
available to us, as far as I'm aware,as subsequent discs are 75
mins,then there are the differing titles,"Crypt","Young Hannah",
"Hannah", "La Tumba","Vampire Woman","Vampire Women",
it all gets a bit involved.I haven't searched yet the other titles
and who knows what will turn up.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mission accomplished. Wow that took a while. I had to order two more copies before finally getting the right version. The PAL UK version is PG but the bootleg put out by ZDD Visual Media in the UK is right. The quality is terrible but it's great to finally see this movie I love uncut. That beheading scene is really intense and I can see why it was cut - so graphic and upsetting.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2013 01:21 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets cross our fingers for a legit DVD some day. There are a couple labels like Code Red that might take on such a venture.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC