8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » OSI's mag striping service ... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: OSI's mag striping service ...
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted September 21, 2013 02:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
When striping prints, it actually is pretty important to ensure BOTH stripes are applied. The reason for the second stripe isn't there so much for the use of stereo, but for its original intent of "the balance stripe", which should be taken literally.

If the balance stripe on the perforation edge isn't there, the film won't wind evenly onto reels AND can cause focus issues when projecting since the film won't be laying flat in the gate. Some projectors deal with this better than others, but the lower f/stop of your lens (such as the Elmo f1.0), the worse the problem will project to the screen.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 21, 2013 07:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree with Brad's comments. The balance stripe is absolutely essential for uniform focus across the width of the screen. Unless of course you are lucky enough to have one of the very few S8 sound projectors with a rear sprung gate.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 22, 2013 09:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is sadly a done issue, but note that this would have been one stripe mono striping in the first place. This old machine was never designed to do the two stripe stereo style super 8 mag striping, though I totally agree that the two stripe (allowing for stereo if desired) is certainly preferrable for the above reasons.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2013 09:19 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton Films never had a balance stripe, I think they were the only seller in the UK that didn't have one.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 22, 2013 02:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Sorry this didn't work out.

I have a number of early Castle Super 8 releases that only have a main stripe. I believe Techno Films didn't bother with balance either.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 22, 2013 02:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which of course raises the obvious question - why did the vast majority of Super 8 sound projector manufacturers opt for the front sprung gate, when it is so obvious that a rear sprung gate totally eliminates all concern about stripe thickness and stripe uniformity? Elmo and Eumig and others, were all making high end projectors and none of them, except Beaulieu, went with the correct design, which is a rear sprung gate.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 22, 2013 06:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the above comments regarding the need for a balance stripe, however if you are stuck and really want sound, then look out for a Rexette. I used one years ago, as long as you can still get the cement and stripe the little Rexette striper is a real breeze to use, and it does a nice job, but it only "main track"

The thing which is really important with all this and that's cleaning the film first. I am not sure what chemicals are around these days that you can use safely on Acetate film stock.

With the Rexette you can stripe 400ft of film quickly as the projector is being used for this. If I remember right it runs at the 18fps setting.

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 22, 2013 07:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a guess, but maybe a front sprung gate means the surface that the claw operates through is a solid piece and it makes for less uncertainty in the insertion depth of the claw? (-a fixed reference level?)

Maybe with a rear sprung gate and a thin piece of film the pushing is out at the claw tips and it makes them more likely to bend?

-at least with a front sprung gate, regardless of the thickness of the stock the film can be resting at the bases of the claw tips where they are strongest.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 23, 2013 03:09 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been using the Rexette since the 70’s which is a basic 8mm striper but works. The real secret is to make sure the film to be striped is 100% clean as even a finger print can make the stripe come away. Had a brief dalliance with a Bolex striper but it was worn and so returned to the Rexette which has given good results and modified mine to take 600ft reels of stripe. Keep looking Osi you will find a good striper and be in business.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2013 03:16 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all Walton films omitted the balance stripe. I think this was just a cost saving exercise by them. I have more with the balance stripe than none.

I seem to remember in the two magazines at the time readers letters was featuring complaints almost every month, plus the reviewers highlighted the problem.

They did start using it again.

None of my Techno Films has a balance stripe.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2013 07:24 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some UFA (German) prints with only the main stripe.

James.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2013 07:47 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, were these early Waltons?; I think all mine only have a main stripe, and I was buying L&H 2 reelers soon up to the time they closed.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the two I just checked "Shalako" (scope) doesn't have balance track. The other "Monty Python's Holy Grail" does.

We hope to start the weekend shows in October and I'll be watching some of my Walton features, I'll report back.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC