8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Repairing a Sankyo Stereo 800 - The Journey (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: Repairing a Sankyo Stereo 800 - The Journey
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 10, 2013 08:21 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, I'm pretty sure the lamp works properly... it was off or at least very dim (I don't remember) in the stop position and it turns on bright (High or Low) in the lamp position.

When it comes time to repair the boards...that's when I'll take it to an electrician. I'd rather have someone with more experience do the PCB repair work and replacement of any components. Hopefully I can do the troubleshooting and identify what needs to be fixed.

I also just bought the service manual which should be helpful.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2013 08:25 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is better than any Alfred Hitchcock movie I have ever seen!

I must admit I have been following and reading each word very carefully as I have 2 Sankyo 800 and 1 - 700 with the same problem. Like Janice, I can't fine any fuses on mine. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

One will get you 10 Janice gets this working again! [Wink] [Wink]

Jon

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2013 08:30 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice: Do not use the meter in the 200m or 2000m position.
This voltage setting is so low you are picking up stray voltages and need shielded leads for correct readings. That meter you have should work fine. Heck I've burned out several of them. This has been fun reading, and if all else fails you can sell it to me [Big Grin] GOOD LUCK bRUCE

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2013 08:43 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you go to get the boards repaired, if you can't find someone who services projectors, check out guys that modify game consoles (like XBOX/Playstation etc.) they are usually young guys that work cheap and are fantastic at soldering.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 10, 2013 10:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Bruce... Thanks for the feedback on the meter setting. Looks like I was mistakenly thinking I was getting somewhere [Eek!] ...but Pete said it was helpful for him so I guess it wasn't a complete waste of time. The numbers on the dial mean nothing to me. So I'm just guessing [Confused] If I keep this up I'll probably blow out the meter soon myself. [Roll Eyes]

@Jon...Have you gone through all this troubleshooting already? This sounds like a design flaw.

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2013 10:17 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a read of my previous post, it explains how the meter settings work. If you do get a chance to test a battery with the meter it to verify it is working properly, that would be great.

There is a good video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 11, 2013 01:02 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meter works...

-

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2013 09:32 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff, I am just removing my boards now so I can take some pictres.

I accidentally shorted the motor to the chassis and the projector now doesn't run.

Edit: It blew the fuse I circled earlier, replacing it got it going again. Phew!

Okay, I would like you to set the meter to 200V AC, and disconnect the two wires in this picture:

-
Then plug the power into the projector and turn the switch to 'Forward'.
Place the black probe on the Chassis and the red probe into the end of the orange wire. You should get around 8 or 9V AC.
Then try the red probe into the black wire and you should get around 20V AC.

If you get nothing on these, then the transformer is cactus, as these wires come straight from the transformer itself. If there is voltage there, then we can continue on to check board components. If not, then the projector is probably a paperweight unfortunately.

[ July 12, 2013, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: Pete Richards ]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 15, 2013 03:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete...I'm sorry I missed seeing this update. I wish there was a way to subscribe to a topic to get email notifications.

Sorry you blew the fuse on your machine...but glad that it was an easy fix.

Remember...I have the Speed board removed and wires that plug into it...Do I need to replace the board first before doing this test?

I'm crossing my figures that I get some kind of a reading...but not holding my breath [Roll Eyes]

[ July 15, 2013, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 06:45 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, no need to replace the board, but you will need to remove both the wires from the board before testing them. Put the probe directly into the end of the wire-connector, the other probe to the chassis and plug in the projector.

Basically those wires come straight from the transformer. If there is no voltage on them when they are not connected to the board, then the transformer is broken.

We want to test them when disconnected to make sure the damaged board isn't affecting the readings.

Make sure your meter is set to 200V AC, and you can check it is working by using the probes to test the voltage on the power cable. (Put the probes into the top two holes on the power cable) It should show about 110V AC. If it does then we know the meter works for AC and you can check those two connectors. Let's hope we see the correct voltage on them!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 15, 2013 11:13 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STAND BY

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 11:29 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holding breath....

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 15, 2013 11:38 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Gang...This a deciding moment [Eek!]

Power Cord Test

-

Transformer Voltage Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iRzJeBQWVI

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 11:53 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, It looks like the transformer is blown.

Try it without the 'hook clips' and push the pointy end of the probe into the end of the wire.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 16, 2013 12:07 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing Pete...We gave it a good go...but I think it's time to let it R. I. P.

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 01:33 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. But you know what? This could still make a good telecine rig.

Let's check if the motor still works. You will need a 9V battery, like one of these.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_batteries-9v-varta-1pk-4122249411_P4410244.aspx?search=9v+battery&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Okay, all you have to do is disconnect the white and yellow wires from the same board as the wires we just tested (at the far right). You can see that those two wires (white & yellow) go up to the motor.

Push the white wire onto one terminal of the 9v battery, and the yellow wire onto the other terminal. If the motor is okay, it should turn slowly.

If the motor is working, then the projector could be used as a basis for a telecine setup. You could just apply power directly to the motor via those wires from an external DC power supply (like a 'wall wart') and use an LED light source.

If nothing else you could sell it that way if the motor is known to work. I probably know a few people in the US that would give you something for it.

If you wanted to post me the boards I could test and attempt to repair them, but the postage cost probably makes that unfeasible.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 16, 2013 02:18 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea to test if the motor is working! I don't need a telecine machine...I already have plenty of variable speed projectors and a MovieStuff Workprinter...but if the motor is good and somebody here in the US can use it...that would be great. Repairing the burnt traces on the boards shouldn't be too difficult.

In my optimistic state of mind... I bought the service manual and it just got delivered today. Guess I won't need it now.

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 05:32 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to buy the service manual, others would be interested in the front take-up arm for converting an 800 to be able to take 1200ft reels, the motor is also worth something if it is working, so is the bulb and lens. You can probably get a reasonable bit of your investment back if you part it out.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Directed and Produced by Janice Glesser

Technical Advisor Pete Richards

Director of Photography Janice Glesser

Electronic Supplies by Radio Shack

Coffee courtesy of Starbucks

Transportation by bus

Photographed on Eastman High Fade stock

Song: It Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones

DVD now available

Look for the book " My Life with a Sankyo" now at all Barnes & Noble bookstores

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 12:11 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ready for the sequel!!!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 12:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Return of the Sankyo ? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 06:02 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or how about "REVENGE of the Sankyo"!

[Wink]

James.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 06:28 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want the next one in 3-D! [Eek!]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 18, 2013 09:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EPILOGUE...

Sorry it took me so long to get around to this last test, but I didn't have a 9V battery.

Pete...I think you are going to like this [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O94IFQ6ThsM

--------------------
Janice

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 10:02 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,

I have a transformer for your 800 and years ago when it was sent to me, the seller assured it works. I can test it to be sure, but I'm sure it's fine. It's yours if you want it. If you send me an email, I'll take a pic of you so you can match it up to be sure.

John

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC