8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Repairing a Sankyo Stereo 800 - The Journey (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: Repairing a Sankyo Stereo 800 - The Journey
Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2013 12:42 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Sankyo Has Risen From The Grave?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2013 07:45 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! And I learned a new term!
Well, we know the motor and the mechanicals appear to be okay, which is good news.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 07:57 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ka-Puee. You learn something new every day! [Wink]

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2013 12:45 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is dead may never die.

Stay tuned.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 20, 2013 11:53 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be taking a short break from the Sankyo ... up to Oregon next week for a little R & R near Mt. Hood [Smile]

I've pulled out my trusty soldering station in preparation for PCB repair work. OH LORD...What am I getting myself into?

-

Pete...I'll email you some enlarged pics of the PCBs.

[ July 20, 2013, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 12:15 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will Janice be able to raise it from the dead? [Eek!]

Will she be back in time to save it? [Confused]

Will Pete give up on her and call it quits? [Frown]

Stay tuned right here in "THE FORUM" for the exciting conclusion of "The Death Of The Sankyo 800". [Cool]

Brought to you in part by ........ [Confused]

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2013 06:23 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sequel is in production, I have been tied up using the machine (it is my telecine rig) and haven't been able to pull it apart to get the pictures etc. to start on the new resuss effort.
Should be able to get onto it tonight though...stay tuned!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 05, 2013 08:01 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to gather up additional tools to repair the PC boards and thanks to John Capazzo a new transformer is on it's way.

I just bought a solder sucker to remove the old solder, but I need to get some flux. I'd like to get a flux pen since I don't need much but there are different types of flux....what should I get?

Pete...I also need some specs on the components I need to replace so I can locate and order them...i.e. bridge rectifier, capacitor, and fuse.

[ August 05, 2013, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2013 08:57 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"FLUX" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? "FLUX". Make that Rosin.
And some 63/37 rosin-core solder .050 diameter or smaller.
As a point of interest, is that a variable wattage soldering iron ? Good luck. Luck is better than skill every time. Don't
you just love this forum. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 05, 2013 09:28 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The iron has dual settings...Low 20watts - High 40watts.

The solder I have is 60/40 Rosin Core .032 diameter

Will this work for the flux?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12582876&locale=en_US

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2013 10:27 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that flux pen will work fine. I don't bother using it on connections of this size, but it will probably make it a bit easier.
When desoldering I find it easier to add a bit of fresh solder first to the joint, it seems to make it easier to get the old stuff out.
I'll be pulling the board out of my '800 tonight and getting all the details for you Janice.

I'm guessing that is 0.032 of an inch?? Anything 1mm or less in diameter is ideal.

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2013 05:23 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 60/40 solder is ok. The 63/37 goes from a liquid to solid faster and helps reduce poor (cold) solder joints. I don't use
flux. Good idea on adding small amount of extra solder. My soldering iron is 25 watts. The main thing is to have 3 or
4 flat sides on the tip BUT no sharp point. Sharp points don't
allow enough surface contact for good heat transfer.
Have the "solder sucker" right down on the joint-apply heat-
when solder melts push the button. Sometimes we get lucky and
it works.

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2013 07:46 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just noticed Janice has 911 posts! Seems appropriate at the moment.

I am transferring some photos and measurements now.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 07, 2013 08:01 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only here on "The Forum" do you get such a detailed report on the ongoing saga of "The Dead Sankyo 800". Will it be reborn? Will it become Frankensankyo?

What a man!
What a woman!
What a mess!

Don't miss the exciting conclusion of this exciting saga. Here on "The Forum"

This message was pre-typed! [Big Grin]

PatD

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 07, 2013 09:23 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GULP! [Eek!]

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2013 10:44 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the fuse is 250v 4 Amps and approximately 20mm long and 5mm in diameter (I have nothing that can measure in imperial units, sorry).

The capacitor is 1000uf 50V 85 degreesC axial electrolytic.

The rectifier is a Toshiba 1B4B1 Bridge Rectifier. It might be the same as this one.
http://tinyurl.com/m3bnsf2

Note the electrolytic capacitor and the bridge rectifier must be replaced 'around the right way'.
The bridge rectifier has two pins for AC input and two pins for DC output, one negative, one positive (i.e. it takes the AC voltage and puts out DC voltage)

The Capacitor has a positive end and a negative end, and must keep the same orientation as your existing one.
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 12, 2013 01:42 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pete. So far I think I've located these parts:

FUSE
http://www.frys.com/product/5850423?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

FUSE HOLDER
http://www.frys.com/product/5864503?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

CAPACITOR
http://www.frys.com/product/1710221?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG.

Let me know if these are correct.

The BRIDGE RECTIFIER is a bit more illusive. If there is someone from the forum who has replaced this part, could you direct me to a supplier or do you have an extra one to sell? Perhaps there is an alternative part?

--------------------
Janice

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2013 03:58 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rectifier is a common electronic component: unsolder the orginal and take it to a Radio Shack or something; they should be able to supply you a similar one. You are paying ridicolous prices for these items, espcially the fuse; generally they cost a buck or less each, plus you dont' have to replace the fuse holder.

Glad you are progressing on the winding path of the "Sankyo Resurrection Experience"... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Maurizio

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 12, 2013 06:32 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two electronic stores in my area...FRY'S and RADIO SHACK. I don't know how often any of you have ever looked for help from the people that work at these places...but in my experiences most have very little technical knowledge. So I try to be as specific as I can to make sure I purchase the correct component.

Do any of these match the specs of the rectifier I need? Also, I'm curious...do the amps and voltage need to match the original specs exactly? For example...What if the amps was 2.0a instead of 1.5? Would that be bad?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062581#tabsetBasic

http://www.westfloridacomponents.com/DI076/1.5A+1.5+Amp+100V+Bridge
+Rectifier+W01-404.html

http://www.westfloridacomponents.com/G361APF04/1.5A+100V+S ingle+Phase+Bridge+Rectifier+General+Instruments+W01G.html

@Maurizio...This machine has no fuses nor fuse holders...not sure why.

[ August 12, 2013, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 12, 2013 07:30 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2.0 will be fine. As long as the rating is higher it is OK.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 12, 2013 09:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the voltage? Can it be higher?

--------------------
Janice

Craig Jarvis
Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2013 12:38 AM      Profile for Craig Jarvis   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Jarvis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I had an electronic repair shop for about 15 years. I hate to say this, but I would load it up and take it to the local TV guy. He would quickly be able to meter the bridge rectifier and assess whether it got cooked. I don't know the position of the cap but they usually have a pregnant look to them if they are bad. The exception is a filter cap and they just produce hum when shot. If you shorted out your leads when testing and now have nothing I would say the first place would be the mains fuse which would shut down everything. The pop you heard at first from the speaker is DC leaking. There isn't a ton of voltage in the circuit but...........it's my experience some of these projects go from bad to worse. Good luck with it.

--------------------
J. Craig Jarvis
Vital Transfers Canada

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 13, 2013 02:23 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for joining the thread Craig [Smile] We could use your expertise. I'm not adverse to taking it to an electrician...but they aren't cheap and I already have a good amount invested in the machine. I agree I could potentially do more harm than good...I proved that already. But, no matter the outcome...this is also a learning experience and a challenge for me and for all who have contributed to the project especially Pete Richards.

When you say 'Cap' are you referring to capacitor? The Capacitor in question is positioned just to the left of the Bridge Rectifier (photo on page 1). The Bridge Rectifier or the Capacitor do not appear to have any physical damage. How can I determine if they are bad or not. Is there a test I can do with my meter?

--------------------
Janice

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2013 03:06 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to fix this is to pull a Frankenstein next time its lightning out put it on you roof and allow lighning to strike it. "Its Alive" [Smile]

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2013 03:07 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to fix this is to pull a Frankenstein next time its lightning out put it on you roof and allow lighning to strike it. "Its Alive" [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC