8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My "new" Bolex P1 8mm camera and 18-5 projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My "new" Bolex P1 8mm camera and 18-5 projector
Ralph Edelbach
Junior

- posted June 07, 2013 02:38 AM      Profile for Ralph Edelbach   Email Ralph Edelbach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a P1 camera new in 1964 and kept it until 1970 when I moved to Eumig super 8 unit. Always regretted selling it for $50 if I remember correctly to a buddy who lost it somewhere. The design and quality was most imporessive and, despite being at a point in my life where my wife and are trying to get rid of "unnecessary " stuff, I couldn't resist buying one on EBay and then falling further off the wagon and buying the matching projector to keep the camera company. Both work but I don't expect to shot any film. They are for display purposes only.

When the box containing the camera arrived yesterday, I was as excited as when I first held my new camera 50 years ago. Still quality.

Does anyone have any idea of what they cost new in the early 1960s?

Many thanks. Ralph, Ringoes, NJ

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 07, 2013 06:04 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Ralph. I also have a pristine condition Bolex 18-5 and they are right up there with the Bolex M8R as being the best silent 8mm projector ever made. In fact Bolex quality was unequalled by any other manufacturer. Just look at the finish on the 18-5 , how did they get paint to look like that! And the Morocco leather covering of the C8,B8, AND H8/16 cameras! These machines work as well today as the day they left the factory in Saint Croix Switzerland. And of course they are also wonderful display pieces:

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Ralph Edelbach
Junior

- posted June 07, 2013 06:08 AM      Profile for Ralph Edelbach   Email Ralph Edelbach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do need a rubber eye-cup for the camera. One did not come with it.

If anyone knows where I can buy one or has an extra one, please let me know. I am going to check on EBay and keep my fingers crossed. Thx.

Glenn Brady
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2013 06:51 AM      Profile for Glenn Brady   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Brady   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although grossly overpriced from this seller (whom I wouldn't recommend), this type of rubber eyecup - made for H8 series cameras - will fit the P series compact cameras: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EYECUP-EBM-K2-P1-OCTOMETER-ETC-BOLEX-16MM-MOVIE-CAMERA-/280530111722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4150e5ccea#ht_827wt_917.

Ralph Edelbach
Junior

- posted June 07, 2013 04:32 PM      Profile for Ralph Edelbach   Email Ralph Edelbach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the lead Glenn. I paid $35 for the camera and $10 shipping so I'm not ready right now to spend almost that much for the eye cup alone. Have to give it some serious thought. Take care.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC