8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cinemascope Lens help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cinemascope Lens help?
David Ryder
Junior

- posted July 02, 2013 03:11 PM      Profile for David Ryder   Email David Ryder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I am am new to the forum and I recently purchased a
Sankyo stereo 702 and a couple of films in Cinemascope but the projector has no lens for the Cinemascope. My question is would a SANKOR ANAMORPHIC 16-D lens do the job or is the lens just for 16mm? If somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great,

Cheers

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should be perfectly OK for use on 8mm as well as 16 mm. The lens should also carry the legend "2X" as commercial Cinemascope prints need to be expanded to twice the width to look correct on screen.
General note: Lenses marked 1.5X or 1.75X ar NOT suitable for Cinemascope prints.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 03:48 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to an Anamorphic lens for 8&16mm projectors.
http://www.mwclassic.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Cine__Pre_Cinema__Magic_Lantern___38.html

David Ryder
Junior

- posted July 02, 2013 05:03 PM      Profile for David Ryder   Email David Ryder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic, thank you that's a big help

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 08:15 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link! Is there anything else to consider besides the 2X requirement?

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 02, 2013 08:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A big consideration is how it's mounted. There's all sorts of ways of doing it, from cradling it in a sandbag to a commercial mount, but alignment is critical.

I have a semi-kludgy mounting scheme I'm hoping to abandon in favor of the mount that Steve Osborne sells soon.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 11:34 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I recently purchased a
Sankyo stereo 702"

[Confused] I own a Sankyo 702 and it is not stereo [Confused]

It is a two-track projector but not true stereo. Am I wrong here?

Jon

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 03, 2013 08:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we need to start calling machines like this "stereoish": they can play both tracks of a stereo recorded film, but only get channel separation with an external amp and speakers.

-so they are "stereo" in the same sense as a stereo CD player, but not the same as a GS-800 or GS-1200, that can manage all on their own.

On Topic: I have the same Sankor lens and it works just fine for Super-8.

--------------------

David Ryder
Junior

- posted July 05, 2013 02:22 AM      Profile for David Ryder   Email David Ryder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your help, I haven't had luck getting a lens yet but I am still searching! How bad does cinema scope look with no lens in standard ratio? too squashed to be enjoyed?

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2013 02:56 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put it in the projector and try it?

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 05, 2013 05:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched my first 'scope film at least a year before I got an anamorphic lens and could see it in the correct aspect ratio. It's not that bad: people in general seem a little too tall and slim, fatter people actually look fine. Circles become ovals, squares rectangles. People on horseback look kind of funny! It's still enjoyable, just slightly odd.

When I got the lens it moved me to get a bigger screen. I had a 4 foot wide screen back then. A correctly formatted 'scope image was only a foot and a half high, so watching it this way was not really better than watching it squished. It just solved one problem and created a new one. (My screen is 8 feet wide now...)

You very often see footage like this on television when they are showing a 'scope movie and there is a title that goes from one side of the screen to the other. They can't pan and scan it without chopping text off, so they show it squished until the title is off screen. I used to think this was some cinematographer's effect from original production, but since I started messing with 'scope I know better.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC