8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 black and white sound cartridges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 black and white sound cartridges
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 01, 2013 08:08 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mentionned in another topic that I found by chance on the Net a British company that sells outdated Kodak sound cartridges from a specific year (they made tests and they had constant results with it) and process them in reversal black and white. Of course, it is not cheap but could interest someone. I found (hardly !) the site back. The name of this interesting British company is The Old Film Company. I cannot copy/paste from my mobile but with the name, those who are interested should be abble to found the site.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 04, 2013 10:34 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old film company also says on its website that there could be a possibility for them to issue a new super 8 trailer.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2013 11:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is:-
http://www.theoldfilmcompany.com/

--------------------
Maurice

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2013 06:40 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...are they joking? £49.99 for one b/w sound cartridge? No way...

--------------------
Yannis

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 05, 2013 06:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not cheap, even as a process paid price. They say that the price is justified by the fact that each cartridge is process with new chemicals and that it takes a whole day work. Only for those who need it...

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 05, 2013 06:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are only joking if nobody is willing to pay it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 05, 2013 09:33 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The time of cheap filmstock is over. The market is too small and while there is no way to produce filmstock on a cheap way, this will not change.

--------------------
Dominique

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2013 05:51 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...sadly you're right Dominique,it's getting more & more professional;seems the days of amateur film making are gone...

--------------------
Yannis

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 05, 2013 11:29 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis, you never know what the future will be. Some things are completely replaced by others, some survive even if they were predicted to disappear. The radio is still there although tv was created. The vinyl discs and pick ups made a come back in the records shops when in the same time some say that cd will disappear because of downoadings. The video was introduced (on a large scale I mean) in the eighties but we still can shoot in gauges like double 8 (who was supposed to be 100 % replaced by super 8) and 9,5. The only reason for this is that there are enthousiasts who try to keep the film alive. I don't think that the filmstock and cine projectors will come back in the shops like the vinyl records but we may still be able to find film stock as there is something that could help us : the 3D printers. It could be possible (that's what I readed) for a laboratory to make filmstock at less cost that now and provide it for a small market. And of course if it is possible to make a gun with a 3D printer, who knows if one day it would not be possible to make more than spares for cameras and projectors ? I just talked about the black and white sound cartridges to show that there are people who are making efforts to bring items for the film maker like this British comapny who, as aready wrote, is looking for the possibility to issue a super 8 trailer.

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Rodgers
Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2013 05:58 AM      Profile for Bill Rodgers   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Rodgers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.theoldfilmcompany.com/Page4_8.htm

What a bargain! [Roll Eyes]

I have purchased old K40 Sound carts on eBay, shot them in bright daylight and had quite good results after processing them as B&W.

That still worked out at nearly £30 a cart though.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 06, 2013 06:09 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody said it was a bargain [Wink] It could be interesting if you could detail how you process colour filmstock to get reversal black and white film. I guess many people still have outadted colour films that are no longer processed in reversal.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 18, 2013 08:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I repeat my request about process informations and would like to extend it as a new member (Mustafa from Turkey) needs also informations on processing black and white double 8 stock.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC