8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Color Correcting with Filter? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Color Correcting with Filter?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 07:19 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He do take some time to send, but I did get both mine

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 09:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some years ago I worked in a cinema which also had regular stage shows. We used coloured gels for the stage lights and also for our follow spots.

I had bought a 16mm feature which was completely pink and hoped that a colour filter on the lens might help. I took cuts off the rolls of many different gels. But, all to no avail.

I soon realised that if a film had turned to one colour, be it pink, red or brown, the filters would not help.

If a film has colour fade but with still some degree of colours present, filters may assist with some correction.

But such filters are not panaceas.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 02:11 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
True Maurice, but gels do put back some colour that does improve
viewing, nothing worse than an off colour print. The numbers of gels I recommended to Jan, are pale compared to other colours
in Rosco's many varied shades, but do the job of giving flesh tone
and other colours invisible in the pink print, are suddenly there.
I have often thought on the lines of a colour tinted lamp, that
might offset these "colour challenged" prints.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 04:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
.....and other colours invisible in the pink print are suddenly there
Hugh
Do you really believe that invisible colours can suddenly appear?

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 05:32 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you can't see them due to the redness,the blues at least come through better ... Not sure if it's lost all color, but they seem to not be there without the filters.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 08:15 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, the proof is "in the pudding", I've been using a blue
& yellow/lime combo for years, and yes colours do "appear"
that were suddenly invisible before, are there for all to see.
Try it and see for yourself.

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 09:49 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projecting onto a screen surface other than white yields interesting results.

For example I have found a gray screen minimizes the apparent color fade considerably. Of course if it is beet red this will not bring color back - however - in the case of blacks shifting to dark red, it works well.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 10:35 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting Roy, and merits further study.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC