8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Aspect of Hitchcock Films?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aspect of Hitchcock Films?
Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2013 01:13 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting the Marketing Film of "To Catch a Thief" from a dealer here. It should arrive soon and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I noticed many marketing films are cropped to an aspect ratio of 1.85 I believe.

I know that To Catch a Thief was shot in VistaVision and so the 1.85 won't be a cropping but rather a flat but relatively native presentation. How does it look?

Also, Vertigo and North by Northwest are available as Super 8 features, how do they look are they flat? And Rear Window was shot in Academy 1.37, I believe, how does that look?

Do any of these get squeezed for Scope with black bars on the sides? Or are they all flat?

Thanks!

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 01, 2013 03:06 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy is full frame. Possibly the sides are missing, but it's not obvious when watching.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 01, 2013 05:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 3X400' which is beautiful colour, but full frame, although nicely done, you would'nt think it was a widescreen print, it is done so well.Marketing did well here.
as a post scipt Ernie, the quality is second to none on the 3x400
sleep easy my friend.

[ September 01, 2013, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 11, 2013 09:17 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My full Marketing Feature is also full frame ... Looks quite nice

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 09:27 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a loke for Vista Vision here:
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingvv1.htm

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 11, 2013 10:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VistaVision for cinemas was hopeless from the start, two specially adapted projectors were needed (picture heads on their sides) and very few projection rooms had sufficient space for more projectors, not even if the cost was met of the extra equipment.

"Motion Picture High Fidelity" as the slogan ran, but who in a cinema cared how the picture got on the screen, and the standard release prints looked just the same as any other.

--------------------
Maurice

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 10:51 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You talk about Vista Vision 8 perforation horizontal projection. This is not important for the questien here.
Vista Vision prints (35mm) can be used for different aspect ratios.
I never checked a Super 8 print of Vista Vision title, but I can tell you 16mm prints are cropped at the right and left side.
A Original 35mm VV print is nearly full frame, you can mask it on top. On every reel is two times the Vista Vision "F" symbol, which marks the different aspect ratios.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2015 05:10 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that information Oemer. I noticed on my 16mm print it was cropped on the left side of the screen, which meant some actors names had the first letter missing.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC