8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig RS3000 Manual

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig RS3000 Manual
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2013 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug Meltzer asked me a favor at Cine Sea, and I need the help of 8mm Forum members to take care of it

Doug has a Eumig RS3000 projector that pops fuses. He's asked me to dig into it and try to repair it. Does anybody have the correct Eumig manual? They were usually pretty good about incuding some schematics.

Other than that, is this an AC motor or a DC? Any clues would be of help, especially if somebody else out there has a reformed fuse popper!

This is a curious beast! It has a large front screen and if it had a stove on one side and a sink on the other nine people in 10 would think it was a microwave oven until they needed to warm their coffee!

I have a sneaking suspicion there is a fairly ordinary projector inside this...appliance, but I haven't popped it open yet.

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 07, 2013 12:13 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be much help on this one Steve. But I would expect a whole lot of mechanical commonality between this machine and the Eumig 900 coaxial reel series projectors, and that probably applies to the electronics as well.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2013 12:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul!,

Without facts, clues are the next best thing!

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 07, 2013 01:58 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to the manuals. You will see the RS3000 perhaps has the innards of a Bolex 815.
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/manuals/eumig-rs-3000-camera-manual-3633.asp

--------------------
Maurice

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2013 06:36 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve

The mechanicals are similar to a lesser Eumig series 900 but without the usual induction motor and mechanical transmission for the speed variation.

These have a DC electronic speed controlled motor thats unseen before in Eumigs.

I have tried to post a pic showing the side cover removed but failed. Will email it to Doug for posting here.

Hope you get to the bottom of the fuse blowing issue.
Will see what I can do to help. I may be able to supply you with a scanned wiring diagram and possibly also a Eumig workshop manual. Will search in my archives to see whats there.

dogtor frankarnstein

[Smile] [Wink]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 08, 2013 09:06 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Here's the picture from Frank.
Thanks for all the help!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2013 12:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Any information you can provide would be a big help! Thanks!

It takes a lot of guesswork out of it.

There's a YouTube video where somebody's showing how to change the belts in one of these, so now at least I know how to open it up.

(-you gotta love the Internet!)

--------------------

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2013 10:34 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve

I have scanned the wiring diagram taken from the Eumig RS3000 manual and saved it as a pdf.

If you supply an email address I will attach and send it to you.
I have sent a copy already to Doug.

dogtor frankarnstein [Wink] [Smile]

[ October 10, 2013, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 09:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks just like a 926 projecting through some mirrors onto the TV style screen.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 09:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The concentric spool system was not one of Eumig's best ideas. Unless the take-up spool takes up by itself, it is a pain to affix the film manually.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 10, 2013 10:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,

PM sent.

Thanks for your help!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 10, 2013 04:56 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wiring Diagram:

-

Thank you Frank!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 05:50 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ha. Just as I thought. I can see from the schematic exactly where the problem lies. It is somewhere between point A & B. So it keeps popping fuses. No need to thank me Steve. [Big Grin]

PatD

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 02:21 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Did you get to the bottom of why your fuses where blowing. I could be wrong but it could be to do with the circuit board which you could replace from another machine.

Just a thought.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 30, 2018 02:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,

This was Doug Meltzer's machine. If I remember right I found a short in the lamp circuit: measured it with my ohmmeter, even with the lamp removed. The problem was this thing was such a puzzle to disassemble I was never able to gain access to the scene of the crime. (One of those where you peel back an overlay to find hidden screws, if I recall...)

-being it wasn't my machine I didn't feel I had the right to avenge my wounded pride with a fire axe, so I conceded defeat, closed it up and brought it back to Doug at the next CineSea.

To this day I don't know exactly why it popped fuses when the lamp was engaged.

(You can't win 'em all!)

--------------------

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 03:11 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

You’re right the machine is a bit of a maze to understand and not an easy machine to fix. I have had the same problem, but as I have a spare machine I am going to attempt to change the whole circuit board that governs both motor and lamp circuit.

I have done this before with the amplifier circuit board. Which is another problem with these machines as the sound stage goes after time (no sound).

I’ll let you know how I get on if it helps Doug or yourself or anyone else in the near future?

What would be nice if you could find a company that makes new parts (circuit boards). As i fear with most of the Eumig range from this period. Which has a similar layout will eventual have the same problem.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 30, 2018 03:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a classic example of what we are up against when we repair these things: not enough information.

Somewhere out there, maybe in somebody's attic is a repair manual for these and it shows you exactly how to get inside. A Eumig trained repairman would have been in there in 15 minutes and done five of them that month, to the point where they don't even troubleshoot: they know what's wrong just by the odor of the smoke pouring out.

-All in a day's work!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC