8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig R 2000

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig R 2000
Steven Jones
Junior

- posted October 10, 2013 12:06 PM      Profile for Steven Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
first let me say hello to every one

i have just found an old Eumig R 2000 to transfer old family cine film to dvd but no manual so could some one tell me why is has a record source on it but is a silent projector also what is the best way to clean up the films once i have them on my pc

thanks

steven

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 02:56 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it has a connecting device to operate a cassette recorder in some way. If you need a manual, here is a link to a supplier.
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/manuals/camera-manual-eumig-r-2000-3632.asp

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2013 11:22 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,
I'm afraid that you haven't picked the best projector for doing transfers, for a number of reasons..
1. The screen material is rather grainy, and that will show in the result.
2. If you intend to to just film straight off the screen with the film running normally, you will get a pronounced flicker in the result. In order to avoid this you will need to slow the machine done to 16.667 fps... but the motor is not variable in speed to achieve this, (the various slower speeds are achieved via a gearbox, while the shutter speed does not change) so you would have to fit a different type of motor plus speed control.
3. If you intend to modify the projector for "frame by frame" transfer you will have even greater problems as you will not only need a contact driven by the mechanism to control the computer for each frame capture, which is VERY difficult to do reliably because of the unusual mechanism in this machine, but also a different motor and speed control. You COULD make use of the lower speeds generated by the gearbox, but the shutter blades would need to be removed, again EXTREMELY difficult without extensive stripping and rebuilding.
My early attempts at transfer were with this machine. There were so many problems with trying to use it that now it sits in my workshop as a source of spare parts for all sorts of projects not associated with movies!
If you value your sanity... take heed!
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Robert Hudson
Junior

- posted October 25, 2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Robert Hudson   Email Robert Hudson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an R 2000 (actually the same machine with the Bolex brand). If you can't afford a telecine projector, this works quite well for transferring 8mm to video. I run the film at 12 fps and flicker is minimal. I mostly use it to make You Tube videos for 8mm films I sell on ebay. Here's one of them, that was done quick and dirty with no real thought to framing and cropping.

sample movie

It is much better than shooting from a movie screen or using one of the boxes with mirrors where you point the projector lens at one end and the camera lens at the other.

I do have the manual as PDF file, so if you need it, you can get it here:

http://bobhudson.com/eumig/ Eumig R 2000 PDF

Robert Hudson
Junior

- posted November 16, 2014 07:51 PM      Profile for Robert Hudson   Email Robert Hudson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would post an update. I had not transferred 8mm movies to video for a while now because I got frustrated at not being able to eliminate - not just reduce - the flicker.

Two weeks ago a found a solution: an app for my iPhone. It's called simply "Telecine" and it is a video recording app designed to allow matching the frames rate of film projectors. It also has a couple of other features to help the transfer go better, but the frame rate option is the real godsend, not only for use with a Eumig or Bolex instaprojector, but with any film projector.

I had at first set it for 18fps, because that was the speed setting on my Bolex 102 MTC, but there was still some flicker. The I recalled that my unit was designed to run on 50 cycle 220 volt European current and I am using an adapter to convert 110 volt 60 cycle US current to 220. It turns out that because of the conversion, my projector is actually running at 16fps, so I started recording at a 960x540 pixel setting which allows be to select any frame rate 3 to 30 frames per second. Setting it at 16 fps took out the flicker. I later discovered that if I usee the Telecine app's 1280x720 pixel setting I can choose frame rates up to 120 fps. I chose 32 fps (16 times 2) and with the higher pixel count and twice as many frames, it gives me better quality.

Again, I am shooting video on an iPhone 5S pointed at the Instaprojector's built-in screen. The transfers I have been doing are for films I'm selling on ebay: I put the video on Youtube so buyers can see what's in each 8mm film. These are quick and dirty transfers and I don't do anything to try to make the black borders even or anything of that sort: I'm concerned mostly about color, brightness and flicker and I'll let you judge for yourself how that works.

Here's one I did today of some 1954 8mm Kodachrome (I use iMovie on the iPhone to add titles to the video and do any editing needed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9VRCTRtt50

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 17, 2014 05:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
A brilliant transfer. Congratulations on your work and findings.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2014 07:53 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, excellent result!
My experiments were nearly 10 years ago, before there were Iphones (whatever they are, mine only makes phone calls), so I had to use what was available then.
Good use of modern technology: congratulations!

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Christopher Lucas
Junior

- posted July 12, 2016 08:36 AM      Profile for Christopher Lucas   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the free manual for bolex 102 mtc and eumig R2000 [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC