8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Adjusting focus on BRAUN VISACUSTIC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adjusting focus on BRAUN VISACUSTIC
Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2013 02:33 PM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I've noticed lately that my Braun Visacustic can't focus through the entire picture. You have to choose the middle or the edges. Also, it varies when a different emulsion is spliced, something that shouldn't happen in these machines.

Anybody knows how to adjust the pressure on the film gate?

--------------------
Marc

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 25, 2013 08:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very puzzling that you have this problem with that rear sprung gate.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2013 08:52 PM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried with two different lenses: the Schneider 1.1 and 1.2.
Same problem...

--------------------
Marc

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 26, 2013 11:19 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have also a focus problem with my Bauer T 502. A part of the picture is from time to time out of focus. When I press the pressure gate with the finger, it seems to be ok so it is probably just a question of adjustment. I was hoping to read some solutions for the Braun that could have been applied on other projectors (like mine). Otherwise, I will consider to bring it to someone who can fix projectors (but I do't know anybody in my town).

--------------------
Dominique

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2013 12:48 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Dominique. The pressure pad on your Bauer is a standard design, so the film gate faces the lamp housing and the pressure assembly faces the lens. Inconsistent, not edge to edge focus on this projector, might depend on a worn-out pressure pad (don't forget it's made of plastic) or it may need registration/adjustment of the force it applys to film. On the Braun this should not happen, unless there is a faulty spring on the pressure shoe (which in this case, faces the lamp housing), or some other issue which I am unable to figure out.

--------------------
Maurizio

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 26, 2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Maurizio. I understand from your answer that I cannot fix it easily myself. I think it is more a question of pressure as the picture is sharp, then out of focus then sharp again on a part of the picture.

--------------------
Dominique

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2013 07:23 AM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Maurizio!

I'll check what you say. I remember also that the repairman who adjusted it some months ago, told me that he reduced the pressure on film for getting better projection of new emulsions like Velvia...

--------------------
Marc

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 30, 2013 07:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
On the Bauer Studioklasse machines there are a few watchouts you can do to try to improve the focussing. First check the spring inside the lens housing is both seated correctly and has a small amount of grease on it to keep it flexible this spring is fitted to keep an even amount of pressure on the rear of the lens barrel but can tilt if the above is not observed. Secondly look closely at the pressure plate springs, tiny retaining circlips and very small screws that secure the assembly. Occasionally these screws come loose or missing and if an incorrect one is fitted that is slightly too long then the pressure plate will not align itself correctly against the tension of the springs.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC