8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS-1200 F1.3 Lens?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS-1200 F1.3 Lens?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2013 05:07 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that GS-1200's came standard with the F1.1 lens, but the one I just got in had an F1.3 lens on it. Am I the victim of a switcheroo? [Confused]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 17, 2013 05:29 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you are! But who knows, maybe the seller received it with the 1.3? Many GS machines have changed hands over the years. I received one a year ago from a forum member which had no lens! I asked where the 1.1 was and he sold it to another forum member here! [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 17, 2013 10:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one should sell a GS1200 without stating at the early stages of the sale, that its only fitted with a 1.3 lens, as this would in my view lower the value of the projector.

All GS1200 projectors when sold new, were all fitted with the Elmo 1.1 lens.

Graham.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 18, 2013 02:16 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all, some came with a F1 as did my Xenon [Cool]

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2013 02:40 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it should be noted that the quality of the 1.1 lens could vary wildly, as has been noted by many Elmo owners. My 1.1 lens has far more chromatic aberation than my 1.3 lens. But of course the 1.0 is superior to both.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 18, 2013 02:57 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve found differences between the quality of f1.1 Elmo lenses over the years and they are not always perfect. I eventually put this down to variations in the optical axis and relatively variable manufacture. For me nothing on 8mm will ever beat the Schneider f1.3 lenses which offer such glorious image clarity and a richness of image unrivalled. I think the highly technical term ‘Jap crap’ could be applied to many an Elmo lens.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2013 06:16 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came 1.0 lens only with the xenon machine? I ve got my normal GS1200 with a 1.0

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 18, 2013 09:05 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost certain that the standard GS could be ordered with a 1.0 lens if the customer required, to save buying one as an extra.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 18, 2013 09:13 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Essex Widescreen used to offer it with the f1 lens Ade

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 18, 2013 10:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at a copy of Movie Maker for October 1982 shows Peter and Allan at Essex Widescreen offering an Elmo GS 1200 with f1.0 lens for £684.25, and a GS 1200 Xenon with f1.0 lens for £1477.00.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 18, 2013 11:38 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, I've received today the latest issue of the French magazine "Cinéscopie". There is in it an article about GS 1200 prokectors which ends with possible troubles due to the age of the machines you should check before buying one. Among them, the 1.0 and 1.1 lenses are said to have a treatment lay (sorry for the aproximate translation in English from a technical part of an article in French) that may have "blowed" (especially if the lens was not properly stocked). The article says it not visible with the eyes but makes a "milky" picture on the screen. It is fixable but not for cheap. This may be another reason (apart from the manifacturing) why you saw differences in the quality of the lenses.

--------------------
Dominique

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2013 08:11 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm learning something here. I thought that the GS1200 Xenon model came with the long throw 1.4 lens for large venues. Was the Xenon model really intended for regular home use also?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2013 01:54 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Jap crap"? Really? I'm the last guy to be pc, but the term "jap" is most certainly derogatory. It's disappointing to see people use this term in this day and age. How about "spic" or "wop"?
Would that be okay?

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2013 11:25 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh goodness. Don't mention Brit then!

--------------------
Tony

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 19, 2013 11:48 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe - I don't know if the Xenon was ever sold with the long throw lens, but this was available both as a 1.4 and a 1.2. However, the range of the 1.0 means that it can cope with a slightly longer throw than the 1.1, which I've found helpful in one particular hall I sometimes present shows in.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 20, 2013 01:58 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schneider 1.3 lens? Is this the one that went on the Bauer's?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2013 01:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe some of the lesser Bauer models Alan but certainly not any of the "Studioklasse" machines as these came with either a f1.2 or f1.1 lenses depending on the model etc.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC